Lemony Roasted Potato Salad

My microwave is haunted.

No, it really is. When I heat up anything, and then close the door after I’ve taken the food or coffee out of it, it starts up again, but only for a few seconds, like maybe six total, and then stops. Do you think it’s the ghost of my old kitchen saying hello to me? Or is it mad about something? Or just trying to freak me out a little? Or do you not give a rat’s flying tootaloo bodiddly and want me to get to the potato salad already for the love?

Because I think the ghost is probably upset that I got a new microwave after the remodel and wants to give me the bird. The electromagnetic radiation bird.

BECAUSE IT’S THE ONLY THING THAT MAKES SENSE.

Okay so I wanted some potato salad the other day. But the tidal wave of my soul lead me down a path of curiosity, which on any normal day is borderline hazardous for my life and anyone in nearby proximity. Because I didn’t want like, a REGULAR potato salad, with boiled potatoes and mayo and all that. Not that there’s aaaaanything wrong with it. I mean, I can totally dig on that kind. My mom makes it all the time with a little paprika on top.

WAIT, do you think the microwave is trying to tell me it’s happy I bought it over the one I almost bought?

Like, “You did the right thing, gurlfrin. kudos.” Or something like that? No?

So I roasted the potatoes. I KNOW I KNOW, it’s summer and hot and I don’t wanna turn on my oven waaaaaah. BUT LISTEN, you’d have to boil water if you weren’t roasting! Which is just as hot, right?

Noggin = ON TOUR.

See, I wanted the roasted-y-ness of the potatoes because frankly it’s my jam. But I also wanted some crunchy texture all up in it, so in went some celery.

AND, I also wanted to keep the whole thing kind of light and whimsical (because potato salad never gets that adjective), so I whisked together some olive oil, Greek yogurt and a TON of fresh lemon juice.

Dudes.

O-MAW-GAW.

Sweet baby kittens of magical poppy fields, I have seeeeeeeeeeeen the light.

I HAVE EXORCIIIIIZED THE DEMONS. I know that doesn’t really make sense here but I just love her little voice when she says it.

You guys, make this make make this make this make this.

Oh ew, maybe I need to get an exorcist to look at my microwave. Great now I’m scared.

Lemony Roasted Potato Salad:

What it took for 4-6 (as a side):

* 2 pounds fingerling potatoes, roughly diced
* 2 celery stalks, finely minced
* 4 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
* 3 Tbs. Greek plain yogurt
* 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
* 1 Tbs. freshly minced mint
* coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400. Toss the diced potatoes with 2 Tbs. oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 30-35 minutes, flipping halfway through.

Remove from oven and let cool about 15 minutes in a large bowl. Then add the minced celery.

In the meantime, whisk together the remaining 2 Tbs. oil, yogurt, lemon juice and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Taste the dressing to see if you want more punch of lemon, or if you want it thicker or thinner. Adjust to get it juuuuust right for your mouth hole.

Pour dressing over the roasted potatoes and toss to coat.

Garnish with minced mint and serve!

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

, , , , , , ,

82 Responses to Lemony Roasted Potato Salad

1. Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids July 11, 2012 at 8:57 am #

Potato salad perfection. Truly. It looks simply amazing!

2. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective July 11, 2012 at 9:05 am #

Come to thing of it, MY MICROWAVE IS HAUNTED TOO! What do we do???

PS~ LOVE the tatters!

3. Megan @ Country Cleaver July 11, 2012 at 9:06 am #

I’m glad I’m not the only one with a possessed microwave… If I didn’t rent my apartment that thing would have been out the door looking for a new house to haunt three years ago. I just pretend that its trying to have a conversation with me and not fry my brains every time I use it.

On a happier note – Um, Holy Yum on the Tater Salad!!

4. Ashley July 11, 2012 at 9:06 am #

I have a few haunted kitchen appliances too – so weird! This potato salad looks crazy good, Bev!!

5. Villy @ For the love of Feeding July 11, 2012 at 9:22 am #

This is the way potato salad should be made! Because it looks dreamy!

6. Cathy @ Noble Pig July 11, 2012 at 9:35 am #

I seriously love that pot! It’s so rustic and cool and fits this salad so darn perfectly! Love me some taters and lemon and with yogurt…score.

7. Alyssa | Queen of Quinoa July 11, 2012 at 9:39 am #

Mmmm…this recipe has a major yum factor! I’m thinking I need to make this tonight with the purple potatoes I just brought home :) Woo hoo, thanks!!

8. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious July 11, 2012 at 9:46 am #

Oooh how refreshing! And I love how this just screams summer!

9. Alicia @ The Reluctant Home Cook July 11, 2012 at 9:49 am #

Great alternative to potato salad drenched in way to much mayo dressing! I am taking this recipe with me to the beach.

10. DessertForTwo July 11, 2012 at 10:02 am #

You should really get that microwave checked out. I had a similar problem with a microwave in the past. It ended up coming alive at night and eating the face off my roommate. We severely punished it and it swore it would never do it again. Then, not a week later, it bit the tail of our dog! I’m telling you, those microwaves. They’ve got some discipline issues. You should probably take a baseball bat to it…

I’m loving the idea of yogurt and olive oil in a potato salad!

11. Kelsey July 11, 2012 at 10:18 am #

Yummy, love the look of this tater salad. Especially since you didn’t put any mayo in it!

12. Kathryn July 11, 2012 at 10:37 am #

Roast potatoes are one of the few things that it’s always worth turning the oven on for no matter how hot it is. Especially when they’re all lemony bright and delicious.

13. GingerMae July 11, 2012 at 10:45 am #

Are you planning a cookbook? Because I pin pretty much everything you post… That was meant to sound less stalkerish and more food loverish.

14. Cassie July 11, 2012 at 10:59 am #

Perfect flavors for potato salad. Love the Greek yogurt.

15. Heather July 11, 2012 at 11:12 am #

my mouth literally starting watering at the first picture. holy. feed me.

16. Jolene July 11, 2012 at 11:29 am #

My microwave sounds like it’s trying to make dubstep music when I turn it on.

17. Katie July 11, 2012 at 11:34 am #

You read my mind. I was just thinking I needed an interesting little potato salad to take to a bbq this weekend. My soul thanks you.

18. Kim July 11, 2012 at 11:49 am #

I was just thinking about potato salad a couple of days ago and BAM! You made a stellar looking recipe that I must try now! Thank You!

19. Deliciously Organic July 11, 2012 at 11:58 am #

I will definitely be making this! Great idea to roast the potatoes first!

20. Julia {The Roasted Root} July 11, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

It’s been a while since I’ve had roasted potatoes so this recipe looks verrrrrry appetizing! I especially love that you don’t put mayo in it – I’m not at all a mayo person but love plain yogurt, so this is perfect for me!

21. Jessica July 11, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

This looks Delish!!! and This post was Hilarious!!

22. Chels R. July 11, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

I have such a thing for Potato Salad and these pictures have me foaming at the mouth…in a completely good way, not the wow- she is Cray-Cray kind of way, lol!

• Summer October 9, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

Posts like this make the inretnet such a treasure trove

23. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar July 11, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

BOOKMARKED! What and awesome way to spice up potato salad! Also, hope your microwave loses its ghost. That’s just weird.

24. Ashlee July 11, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

I can definitely vouch for this one. It was D.E.licious. Thanks so much for sharing your yummy cooking.

25. Jenny July 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

Making!

26. claire @ the realistic nutritionist July 11, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

Gosh this looks JUST PERFECT. I’d love some in that fancy little pail you have there.

27. Julie @ Table for Two July 11, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

i want that bucket delivered to me. by hand.

28. Deanna B. July 11, 2012 at 5:55 pm #

I had a car that was cursed, so I totally believe in a haunted microwave. Bizarre? Yes. Unthinkable? No. (PS: next time you’re feeling the roasted potatoes, throw those babies on the grill. I know you had something grilled with that potato salad.

29. Baking Serendipity July 11, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

My husband works late a lot and I’m a total scaredy cat. Your microwave would freak me out! (I’m a little embarrassed to admit.) At least there’d be this potato salad to stress eat. It looks so, so delicious!

30. Jamie July 11, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

This looks so awesome! I love potato salad but never tried it with roasted potatoes.

31. Katie July 12, 2012 at 8:46 am #

What happened to the microwave who didn’t pay for his exorcism?

He got REPOSSESSED!

Oh, and that potato salad looks totally bomb. :)

• Bev Weidner July 12, 2012 at 8:57 am #

Baaaaa-domp!

32. kelly July 12, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

you are hilarious!! and the recipe looks good too!

33. JulieD July 13, 2012 at 2:53 am #

OMG, these look amazing. Too bad Curtis doesn’t like potato salad…because when I make this…it will be all mine!

34. K July 13, 2012 at 7:17 am #

My micro was doing the same. Electronics were going out. Door had to be changed.

Potatoes look delicious!!!

35. NathanG July 13, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

Your potato salad looks amazing and I will definitely be making this for mine and my wife’s dinner tonight. But do yourself a favor–never microwave you coffee again. You’ll love yourself more for it. I promise.

36. Sonya July 15, 2012 at 1:19 am #

Hands down..without a doubt, my most favorite potato salad..ever!! I made this lastnight and my youngest who can not stand potato salad of any kind loved this! I have been hunting for a healthier version of potato salad since the mayo version just makes me ill. This is so refreshing and light and you can add whatever type of seasonings you want. I added in some cumin,garlic pepper,dried onions and then salt and pepper. We just loved this served warm. I served it with salad and baked bbq chicken. Thank you so much for a potato salad recipe that will be made often :)

• Bev Weidner July 15, 2012 at 10:28 am #

I am sooo glad to hear this! Thanks so much for letting me know. And I’m absolutely adding those seasonings next time, hooooly.

37. sharon July 15, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

So glad to have seen this. I’ve been wondering about a roasted potato salad recipe myself. Will be making this next weekend.

38. Jennifer W. July 15, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

This sounds incredible! Can’t wait to try it, and, oh, you’re hilarious. <3

39. Elena@healthy eating July 16, 2012 at 12:41 am #

This potato salad is one of a kind. I am definitely going to make it this weekend with my grilled steak! Can’t wait!

40. JKosh July 16, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

Tried this for dinner tonight, it turned out great. I didn’t have any mint on hand but had some fresh thyme from my garden that worked well with the other ingredients. Paired it with some grilled rosemary zucchini, and lemon caper salmon.

41. Carol July 16, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

You are HILARIOUS!
    my main reasons for attempting to make this:
    1. Have too many potatoes, don’t know what to do with them
    2. This blog made me actually laugh out loud multiple times
    –especially “OH MAW GAW”
    3. Decided it was time to learn how to cook.

SOO i boiled my potatoes first, then was going to brown them in the pan. Only they turned into half mashed potatoes, which was step 1 of my semi-failure. I will try my mashed potato salad – with cherry tomatoes! – tomorrow.

Until now, i shant give up on cooking! but i’m sticking closer to the recipe from now on

42. kelley {mountain mama cooks} July 17, 2012 at 7:57 am #

I generally don’t love potato salad but I love roasted potatoes and anything with lemon I’m up for trying at least once. So I suppose this is going on the “to make” list. Thanks lady, looks amazing!

43. April July 17, 2012 at 10:41 am #

Cannot wait to make this! By the way, I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Here’s my post: http://3hungrymonkeys.wordpress.com/2012/07/17/i-won-something-woot/

44. Betsy July 18, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

Made this for my family tonight with steaks an summer squash off the grill. Everyone loved it-how refreshing! Love the mint! Thanks so much for sharing!!

45. jas July 18, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

oh goodness gracious this looks ah-mazing! it’s been too long since I’ve had a good potato salad….

46. Kiara July 24, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

This was amazing. I made it exactly as your specified… except I added half of a minced shallot!! Sorry, I couldn’t resist, it was calling me. AMAZING.

I served it with your coffee-grind-marinated steak and some mixed greens…yum yum. I gave half of the steak to my dog because she is 119 in dog years and really, whatever she feels like eating is what I give her nowadays. She wanted Bev steak today – no kibble, nosiree. I hope someone feeds me Bev-steaks when I am 119…..but I digress.

Still your #1 fan :)

47. Shiloh August 10, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

Sooo good! Great summer potato recipe!

48. Bells for Anna September 2, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

Made this but added in some onion and green onion! It is SO good! bright, lemony, tart, and just overall YUM. a very nice healthy alternative to regular potato salad!

49. Erica November 9, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

love the yogurt, lemon, green stuff going on. and your sense of humor :) I bet this would work well with cauliflower (my fave).

50. lynnssouthernheart March 16, 2013 at 8:36 pm #

Wow does this sound great! I love roasted potatoes, that’s about the only way I eat them these days. I can’t wait to try this tater salad! Thanks for the recipe.

51. meggon April 20, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

This looks delicious and all… But I really love that little pot you have your potato salad in!!!

52. Lindsay July 8, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

I kind of love that bucket, dear Liza. The potato salad too. :)

53. jami July 21, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

This looks amazing! I’ve been looking for a good potato salad that uses greek yogurt!! Thanks! Also FYI – I didn’t see Pinterest as an option on your shareaholic bar at the end of your post… Pinterest is where I keep all recipes! :)

• Bev Weidner July 21, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

Just updated my shareaholic! I can’t believe I didn’t have Pinterest on there. Fixed and thank you!

54. Bonnie May 19, 2014 at 8:44 pm #

Just made this tonight. It’s crazy delicious!

• AJ May 22, 2014 at 9:11 am #

I am just wondering how this recipe keeps because of the baked potato. I want to try this, but I am going on a camping adventure and would need to make it two days before hand. Worth trying, or should I save this for a day I can make and eat so the potato’s keep stay crispy?

Thank you!

55. Diane June 6, 2014 at 2:37 pm #

I have made this potato salad and it is good. I don’t use 2 tbs of lemon I use one.. that’s enough for me. The best part is you don’t have to peel the potato’s. My daughter is a vegetarian and she loves it. This salad is a must try recipe.

56. Jeannie June 18, 2014 at 1:27 pm #

So excited to see this recipe does not have mayo in it. However, I am lactose intolerant and cannot eat anything w/dairy and this recipe calls for greek yogurt, what can I substitute yogurt with?

Thanks!
    J~

57. Mary July 13, 2014 at 3:01 pm #

Sounds like a great recipe, I’m gonna’ try it. I just don’t turn on the oven or boil water on the stove when it’s this hot, so I’ll scrub my potatoes clean (plastic dish scrubbies work great), rub them with olive oil (to keep skins moist) and either steam them in the microwave or grill them (do extras when grilling & tightly plastic-wrap when cool, use later). Re: the run-on I wouldn’t call an Exorcist, but I would call an elecrical repair shop or buy a new microwave, ’cause what you’re describing sounds like a short in the wiring- and shorts lead to fires! Rental or not, a new one is cheaper than a fire.
    To Jeannie (with lactose intolerance), fermented items like yoghurt, cheese (the harder, the better) & kefir have had much of their lactose (milk sugar) ‘cracked’ by the beneficial organisms that do the fermentation. My moderately lactose intolerant sister can get away with small amount of these items (1 item a day) with lactaid pills. Good luck.

1. Bev Cooks Guest Post on FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking - July 30, 2012

[...] 4) Lemony Roasted Potato Salad - No mayo, dudes. N.O.M.A.Y.O. [...]

2. » Krompir Bober - August 14, 2012

[...] bevcooks.com via Petra on Pinterest var a2a_config = a2a_config || {}; a2a_localize = { Share: "Deli", Save: [...]

3. Potato Salad with Bacon and Barbecue Sauce - August 27, 2012

[...] Lemony Roasted Potato Salad from Bev Cooks [...]

4. Meal Plan « A Very Bright Girl - October 13, 2012

[...] Lemony Roasted Potato Salad [...]

5. Salad(s)! | Baking is my Procrastination - February 18, 2013

[...] I don’t have many dislikes when it comes to food, but that’s one of them!), but this one is nice and light and made with greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. I didn’t have fresh mint, [...]

6. 51 Healthy Greek Yogurt Recipes for Any Meal - Panic and Anxiety News Blog | Panic and Anxiety News Blog - May 2, 2013

[...] Lemony Roasted Potato Salad Speaking of remaking classic potluck dishes: This light, citrusy take on potato salad uses Greek [...]

7. Ali Ro Life: Memorial Day Menu | My Life - May 16, 2013

[...] Must have side dish: potato salad [...]

8. The Novice Chef » Upscale Party Food for Super Bowl 2013 - June 27, 2013

[...] Lemony Roasted Potato Salad [...]

9. 51 HEALTHY GREEK YOGURT RECIPES FOR ANY MEAL | HealthFit Magazine - October 14, 2013

[…] 29. Lemony Roasted Potato Salad Speaking of remaking classic potluck dishes: This light, citrusy take on potato salad uses Greek yogurt, olive oil, and fresh mint to add so much flavor and creaminess that you won’t miss the mayo. […]

10. UNIQUE VARIETIES OF SALAD | Best Friends For Frosting - October 16, 2013

[…] A potato salad for the anti-mayonnaise crowd! Lemony Roasted Potato Salad is sent straight from heaven. (via Bev […]

11. 25 Potato Dish Recipes | Recipes - January 22, 2014

[…] Recipe: bevcooks […]

12. hookedonhealth: BREAKFAST 1. Greek Yogurt Pancakes2. Eggs… « We Live Social - February 22, 2014

[…] with Greek Yogurt27. Spicy Tuna Salad with Greek Yogurt28. Creamy, Lighter Macaroni Salad29. Lemony Roasted Potato Salad30. Cucumber, Fennel & Roasted Potato Salad with Parsleyed Yogurt31. Stuffed Grape […]

13. Top 10 Delicious Dishes With Greek Yogurt - March 29, 2014

[…] via bevcooks.com […]

14. The Chic Site - April 2, 2014

[…] Lemony Roasted Potato Salad from Bev Cooks puts a new spin on an old classic. […]

15. 10 Must-Make Potato Salad Recipes | Everyfoodrecipes, cooking tips, and how-to food videos—all rated and reviewed by millions of home cooks,make the perfect birthday cake, or plan your next holiday dinner. - May 20, 2014

[…] Get the recipe here!. […]

16. Lemony Roasted Potato Salad | Bev Cooks | Chef,... - May 29, 2014

[…]   […]

17. Taters and MtFitnessPal | Weighing in on weighing in - May 30, 2014

[…] potato salad this evening and it isn’t even bad for ya! I yanked the recipe from here: BevCooks. It is basically fingerling potatoes, plain Greek yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, celery and mint. […]

18. 20 Potato Side Dishes - Woman of Many Roles - June 8, 2014