Vegetarian Coconut Rice Bowls

Vegetables on a Friday? OFF WITH HER HEAD.

cocbowl3

Hear me out!

What if I told you they were seasoned and seared so properly you immediately hopped on your desk and rocked out some major Chandler Bing moves?

What if I told you they were dripping in so much velvety coconut milk you immediately charged into your boss’s office and slapped his booty?

What if I told you they rest on top of a bed of lime/cilantro/coconut rice so fluffy, you immediately galloped down your street screaming praises of jubilation, pink foam rollers, bottle of bourbon, crying toddler and all?

What if I told you I accidentally wiped sampler hand lotion all over my face yesterday in Whole Foods? Oh wait that wasn’t supposed to be written here. Just . . . ignore this.

cocbowl1  cocbowl2

This meal is ribonkulous. And how terribly obnoxious am I for saying ribonkulous just now?

But really, I would friend this meal on Facebook if I could.

There’s honestly nothing more to say here.

Wait, is that CLAPPING?

Stings, guys. It stings.

cocbowl4

Pour some coconut on me. In the name of luuu-huuuuve.

Vegetarian Coconut Rice Bowls:

What it took for 4 (kind of smallish) bowls:

* 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice, rinsed
* 1 (15 oz) can coconut milk
* 1 cup chopped cilantro, divided
* 2 limes
* 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 (8 oz) package baby bella mushrooms, sliced
* 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced
* 1 red bell pepper, diced
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 Tbs. freshly minced ginger
* 1/2 cup frozen edamame
* 2 scallions, finely sliced
* 1 tsp fish sauce (leave out for 100% vegetarian)
* coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Place the rinsed rice in a rice cooker. Add 3/4 cup coconut milk to the cooker, and 1 1/4 cup water. Flip her on and the end.

When the rice is done, add the juice of half a lime along with 1/2 cup cilantro. Stir it. Taste it. MAMA.

Heat the oil over medium-high in a large sauté pan. Add the mushrooms and sauté until they become tender and dark brown, about 4 minutes. Add the zucchini and bell pepper; season with salt and pepper and sauté another 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger; bloom for about a minute total.

Now add the remaining coconut milk, edamame, remaining cilantro, scallions, fish sauce and another good squeeze of lime juice. Let it simmer 3 minutes, or until the edamame warms through. Taste it. LAWD. Maybe a little salt? If so, add a pinch. My sister says peench. Is that not so annoying?

Serve veggies over coconut rice garnished with more scallions and fresh lime wedges!

cocbowl5

We’ve got Weelicious winners!

Oh! Weelicious weeners? No. Let’s not do that.

First winner is #46, Abby who said: I’m always tricking the hubs into eating dishes made out of Cauliflower (pinch of yum style). It’s the best. He’s a champ.

Second winner is #97, Karen who said: Spinach in brownies! They were yummy!

Noice jorb, you guys! I sent you both emails, so hit me up this weekend, or I’ll pick two more winners come Monday morn’.

Okay bye!

, , , , , , ,

28 Responses to Vegetarian Coconut Rice Bowls

1. Tieghan September 13, 2013 at 8:11 am #

You don’t need to tell me anything! I was all in the second I read coconut rice! My all time favorite! Plus, I kind of love veggies anyway!

2. Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen September 13, 2013 at 9:05 am #

You had me at coconut rice….I’m sold! And, those babies are so dang lucky for all the awesome food they’ve been getting lately!

3. Kelly @ livelovepasta September 13, 2013 at 9:16 am #

I am so into this. Chandler Bing dancing on the desk into this. :) Happy Friday!!

4. Sandy Coughlin September 13, 2013 at 9:51 am #

This recipe sounds so delicious and healthy! Can’t wait to try it.

5. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl September 13, 2013 at 10:42 am #

Gal dangit this looks so good!!!!

6. Averie @ Averie Cooks September 13, 2013 at 11:36 am #

Coconut milk makes everything that much more amazing, doesn’t it! Lovely, Bev!

7. dixya| food, pleasure, and health September 13, 2013 at 11:39 am #

the idea of coconut milk in a rice cooker sounds perfect. Have a wonderful weekend.

8. Laurie {SimplyScratch} September 13, 2013 at 12:09 pm #

mmmm love these rice bowls! {ha! you said weeners!} :)

9. Ashley@BakerbyNature September 13, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

I can dig it. Like, maaaaaaaajorly.

10. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking September 13, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Oh man, that is one big bowl o’ love! Good stuff!

11. Katie September 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

heck to the yes. I’m so happy that vegetables are slowly making their way back into my diet.

12. Erin L September 13, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

After a first trimester saturated in milkshakes, & bean & cheese burritos, all I want in life is a big bowl of vegetables… and maybe some pecan pie. Love this!!

13. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 13, 2013 at 6:36 pm #

I need this in my life, especially with all the coconutty goodness and veggies! Yum!

14. Sini September 14, 2013 at 8:23 am #

:D Best opening lines ever! I can’t help it. I have to make this rice bowl.

15. Cassie | Bake Your Day September 14, 2013 at 10:00 am #

I’ll take veggies every day of the week if they look like this!

16. Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg September 14, 2013 at 11:35 am #

This looks scrumptious! Did I just say that about vegetables? Yes! Can’t wait to try it.

17. Lisa | With Style and Grace September 14, 2013 at 11:39 am #

I’m so jealous, it took me 3 months AFTER my child was born for me to start eating vegetables. However, this dish might have sold me early on. YUM!

18. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. September 14, 2013 at 11:48 pm #

Chandler Bing moves. You just made me love you even more! Also, I want a big bowl of this!

19. Kelly // The Pretty Bee September 16, 2013 at 10:00 am #

Yum! These look really fresh and delicious!

20. Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) September 17, 2013 at 9:45 am #

Everything about this is making me drool. Particularly the coconut, lime and cilantro rice. Gahh! Gimme.

21. Kristi September 18, 2013 at 4:32 am #

I think this recipe looks good…from the coconut rice to the veggies.

22. marina September 19, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

LOVE. I’m a veggie every day kinda girl. And hubs loves coconut so I think I can get away with it this time ;)

23. Anne October 1, 2013 at 7:05 am #

Bev, this recipe is amazing. Although, I hate mushrooms with a passion so I had to toss those and throw in some chickpeas. We ate all of it, there were no leftovers!

24. Awesome vegan April 14, 2014 at 9:53 pm #

Fish sauce isn’t vegetarian

1. Things I Am Going Crazy For This Week - Half Baked Harvest - September 14, 2013

[…] These vegetarian coconut rice bowls. You all know I LOVE rice bowls and Coconut. Winner. […]

2. Link Love #6 | Barr & Table - September 17, 2013

[…] Oh She Glows Healthy “Fried” Brussels Sprouts – Carrots ‘N’ Cake Vegetarian Coconut Rice Bowls – Bev Cooks Paleo Spaghetti Squash Casserole – […]

3. Vegetarian Coconut Rice Bowls | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 11, 2014

[…] Vegetarian Coconut Rice Bowls Vegetarian Coconut Rice Bowls. Forever.For full “Vegetarian Coconut Rice Bowls” recipe click here […]

4. Coconut Rice Bowls – The Healthy Secret Blog - September 16, 2014