Like, pizza pie though.
Yeah that got your attention.
Not only is it apples + cheddar on a quick small-batch pizza crust, guess what the “sauce” is. It’s a non sauce sauce. Here, I’ll show you.
Honey! It’s honey. Just a little drizzle of honey for the base, and that’s all she wrote.
She being me. I wrote it. That’s all Bev wrote. That’s all I wrote.
Are you looking at that? There’s honey under those apples. And then a small batch pizza crust under that.
OH – remember my SKILLET TOMATO PIE from last year? This one. This‘n. Look right here.
It’s THAT, but for fall. Eeeeeh? Cute, right? Right. And the dough – you can make that right when you get up (it takes five seconds) and let it rise all day if y’awnt. It’s just enough dough to fit a 10-inch skillet, just so you know now and aren’t making a tiny voodoll doll with my face on it later today.
You’ll also chop up some rosemary and sprinkle it over the apples because WINTER IS COMING.
Sorry to depress you.
Here I’ll change that.
Cheese! Feel better? Get a block of cheddar and shred her up and violently throw her over the apples.
Tuck some thinly sliced red onion in there if you know what’s good fer ya.
Yep. Yes. 25 minutes in a 400-degree oven and this is what your eyes will feast on. (and v soon your face hole)
A thing of skillet pie beauty, I tell ya.
When would you eat it? Shoot girl, anytime. It could be a day-before lead-up snack to Thanksgiving. Or lunch or dinner anytime in the fall. Or now if you get on it.
You should probably just get on it.
It’s that perfect sweet/savory tongue thing, ya know? The honey underneath the now-tender honeycrisp apples, flecked with earthy rosemary, buried under all that extra-sharp cheddar and hints of aromatic essence STOP EET.
It’s perfectly splendid. (sorry I just started Bly Manor and it’s already embedded.)
Honestly though ^^
Appetizer, fun weekend lunch, anytime all the time nosh sesh.
I feel like a gentle surrender might be in order.
Save me a slice or 80.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 1 honeycrisp apple, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 4 oz extra-sharp cheddar, grated
- 1/4th cup thinly sliced onion (more or less)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Add the warm water and stir with a wooden spoon. Once sticky, transfer the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead a few times, until it forms a smooth ball. Place it back into the (now cleaned) bowl, cover and let it rest for an hour, or as long as you want. It should rise just a tad! Not a ton ton, but enough to call it good.
- Preheat your oven to 400.
- Pull the risen dough back out of the bowl and onto a floured surface, and gently stretch it to fit a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Evenly drizzle the honey over the dough, then layer the sliced apples on top. Sprinkle with the chopped rosemary, and follow with the grated cheddar. Tuck in the thinly sliced red onion here and there, just the way you like it.
- Bake for 25 minutes (30 if your cheese needs more browning and bubbling). UGH, look at that.
- Let cool for five minutes, if you’re somehow able, then slice and serve!
- Makes one pie (8 small slices).
Let’s just plan on this being what we eat for the rest of ever, ‘mkay?
8 Responses to Skillet Apple Cheddar Pie