Friday Flotsam

FeeeeeeeeeeeeRILLY DEE DO DAY.

plants outside for a hot sec

I’m warning you now, today’s Flotsam is basically one Herculean poll.

I mean, POOOOOOLLLLLLLL-ah!

It’s what I do leave me alone.

First up!

Curling iron or a curing wand?

I’ve always used a curling iron. A one-inch Conair from the ’80s. But it seems like KIDS THESE DAYS are more into the WAND. The curling WAND. The curling WANDA. Just kidding.

And if I try to use my curing IRON, my IRENE as a WANDA, I get frustrated. I wrap that ish around Irene (clamped closed!), but I can’t get it to really hold the waaaaves, man. Am I doing it wrong?

What do you use? An Irene, or a Wanda? And do you feel like there’s REALLY enough difference between the two to purchase a Wanda and try to master it? Or do you prefer good ol’ clampy Irene and her promise of fuzzy nostalgia.

Or should I just get a crimp iron and call it a day?

pies for days

VENMO OR PAYPAL?

I had a thoroughly intricate conversation with my girl last weekend about Vinmeaux vs. Paypal, and she hiiiighly yet sweetly nudged that I step up my game and quit being a grandma and enter modern times and start using Vynmow.

But when I asked her to explain the difference between the two, I kept ending the sentences, “…you mean like Paypal.”

“…so it’s like Paypal.”

Her, “But it’s not! It’s just better. Easier. Once you start using it, you’ll get it.”

So, okay! I signed up. Because I’m hip and very 2018.

She mentioned the social aspect of it, which ties to Facebook, and you just click on a friend and pay them whatever.

GUYS. I SEE WHAT EVERYONE IS PAYING EVERYONE ELSE. Not like, how much. But I know when my friends pay for practice spaces, or babysitting, or airfare, or “cosmic brownies.”

???

I’m not supposed to see that! What is happening with that! Quit that!

I felt exactly like Carrie Bradshaw in that one episode of Sex and the City where Aidan instant messaged her on her laptop for the first time, and the “ding!” startled her so much she ducked down under her desk, as if he could literally see her.

It was like that.

Don’t do that, VNMO. You’re weird.

#grandma

copper lids

Do you guys say Y’ALL?

Or do y’all say YOU GUYS?

I know it’s regional, and hereditary (not really), and degenerative (not at all), but I’m curious, what do you say?

And it’s okay if you say both! Because I know I do. It depends on the rate of speed in which I’m delivering words, the amount of rosé in my bloodstream, the waves in my hair, and the moon.

“What dewy’all feel like for dinner?” See that? Lightning fast. The words just run together like speed cars on a hummingbird’s race track.

“YOU GUYS GUESS WHAT.” Slower. With emphasis. More drama. The waves are looking good.

I do realize you have a life and will never respond to any of this nonsense.

Goodbye forever.

rosé flights

Just kidding one more!

This isn’t a poll. But I am so completely obsessed with Mandy Moore’s Instagram Storiesomg. They’re mostly like, behind-the-scenes videos on the set of This Is Us. LOTS of makeup and hair in her trailer. How they age her to become older Rebecca. All the wiiiiigs. All the fashiooooon. It’s just so fun.

AND her new HOUSE.

And all her stylish friends.

And I still need to watch this week’s episode! I totally forgot. Is it good?

Did you cry?

Of course you did.

You’d rather have a poll, wouldn’t you?

Fine.

THIS IS US, or PARENTHOOD?

Which one emotionally abuses you more?

The hurts-so-good kind.

The open-another-bottle-of-rosé kind.

The I-need-more-friends kind.

feet on tile

Weekend plans?

It’s been a while since I’ve shown you a foot photo so just bear with me.

It’s cold today. But it’ll be nice(ish) tomorrow! And then nice(isher) again on Sunday!

Oh! If you dig podcasts, I was just interviewed on this one, so peep your earholes if you like. I have no idea what I even said, so don’t hate me.

I’m trying to not use exclamation points in all that, and it is painfully hard! I mean hard.

What are you having for dinner?

, , , , , , ,

28 Responses to Friday Flotsam

1. Caitlin February 16, 2018 at 8:17 am #
    This Is Us doesn't come back on til the 27th so you're all caught up! I'm honestly glad for that because I don't think I could handle the Olympics AND This Is Us at the same time. Also, that rose' ombre is pretty amazing!
  2. Julie February 16, 2018 at 8:21 am #
    Here me out....I use a straightener to curl my hair. Seems crazy pants but it works! You just twist it! And the curls hold better than anything. Once you get it down, curling is SO FAST. I also say y'all and you guys. Guess it's a Virginia thing. Can't decide if we're southern enough or not.
    • Julie February 16, 2018 at 8:21 am #
      Oh sweet Jesus, hear* Friday brain is real.
    • Jenna February 16, 2018 at 9:23 am #
      Love using my straightener to curl my hair! Curls last so much longer!
  3. Amanda R February 16, 2018 at 8:36 am #
    1. Now that my hair is short, I use a straightener to curl it. But I was strictly a curling iron person when it was longer. 2. PayPal for the win. But I do have Venmo because some people only use that. And I feel weird seeing what people pay for...but I don't see it because I don't use it. That's what PayPal is for. 3. Y'all all the way! ***Mandy Moore's Instastories are life. That house. OMG. 4. Parenthood!!! I don't like This is Us!
  4. Ali Vizzo February 16, 2018 at 8:42 am #
    1. I use a GHD curling iron that is more than amazing. Works well as an iron or wand (although I haven’t mastered the wand technique). 2. We use chase pay, which only works with someone who also has chase bank so it’s not ideal. 3. You guys. Total Midwesterner here. 4. I have watched maybe 2 episodes of this is us season two. I’ve decided just to binge a bunch at once so I only have to endure one weekend of the emotional turmoil instead of returning for it week after week. It’s just so much.
  5. LB February 16, 2018 at 9:04 am #
    I moved to Dallas from California and then (to my inner NorCal girl's horror) married a Texan who's family is from East Tennessee (talk about some crazy accents) and now I've just accepted that I will say y'all. It just comes out, even when I'm sober. But I REFUSE to say 'fixin to' or 'might could' or 'Go Cowboys!' because, standards.
    • Bianca February 16, 2018 at 11:08 am #
      LOL, this made me crack up because I'm living the same life! Central Cali girl, moves to San Antonio, marries a Texas boy from Houston. As much as I tried to REFUSE y'all, it just has that way of creeping in like the distant cousin who can't take a hint. All the 'might could', 'can't never could', 'over yonder', NEVER gonna happen!
  6. Jenna February 16, 2018 at 9:25 am #
    A friend of mine was just telling me about Zelle - it's supposed to be faster and more secure since it's bank to bank. I haven't tried it yet though!
  7. Nicole February 16, 2018 at 10:31 am #
    If you need a new show to watch I think you might like Riverdale.
  8. Bianca February 16, 2018 at 11:10 am #
    Curling iron all the way. Stay with the classics. Hot Tools are the best. You might like curling with your flat iron, since you like those blunt ends to your curls though. Unfortunately, 'Y'all' comes out and I don't even notice it anymore.
  9. Susan February 16, 2018 at 12:51 pm #
    I'm on curling iron team but I'm old. I have a flat iron and we are intermittent friends. This is Us for the win. I liked Parenthood, don't get me wrong, but they kinda made me crazy the way they all talked over each other (like real families?). This is Us somehow seems more complex to me. Dinner tonight just might be these nachos, https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/06/corn-and-black-bean-weeknight-nachos/ . I made then once a few weeks ago and now I'm dreaming of them. Is it weird that I feel like I shouldn't love another blogger's recipe?
  10. Becky Zea February 16, 2018 at 1:06 pm #
    Alright imaginary friend, A) As a stylist I like both curling irons and a wand. They do different things. If you used a wand you may want to get a slightly smaller size to get the size waves that you like. Because you flat iron first, a wand is a great choice for you! I don't flat iron first so I need to use a clamp iron to be able to "pull" my ends out straight other wise they are frizzy if I just use the wand. They also have wands with different tips that are interchangeable. I will send you a link on Insta. B) Venmo all the way! C) I'm from Minnesota, with parents from Springdale, Arkansas. I say Yooouuuu Guys. You really gotta put the emphasis on the ouu. It's important Yaa knooow?
  11. Lori S. February 16, 2018 at 1:17 pm #
    this whole post is gold! I love This is Us but I don't get that whole leave me alone I need to eat ice cream and not get distracted for even a second that I used to get with Felicity, Parenthood or my all time favorite puller of the heartstrings - Friday Night Lights. Sigh.
  12. Amanda February 16, 2018 at 4:40 pm #
    Californians say YOU GUYS
  13. Amanda Whaley February 16, 2018 at 4:54 pm #
    Curling iron! Or straightner when my hair is shorter. I am just so used to a clamp, and can't figure out how to hold my arm with a wand...so yeah. Fun fact: PayPal owns Venmo...seriously! It's their way of reaching millennials cause ya know everything has to be sooooocial. Oh and I have both, but use venmo way more. I say both...I grew up in the Midwest, but am now in the South so I hate saying y'all, but it slips out. I haven't made it past the first few episodes of either...they're just so. sad. and I can't handle it. You're the best by the way.
  14. Heather February 16, 2018 at 5:46 pm #
    Organically “you guys” but for emphasis “y’all”. I thinks it’s too soon to call Parenthood v. This Is Us. Loving Mandy Moore’s BTS stories! Weekend: we were supposed to go to PDX but then we got 8” of snow yesterday, hoping we can go next weekend instead 🤞Oh and dinner tonight is paprikash and mashed potatoes.
  15. Alyssa February 16, 2018 at 6:14 pm #
    This is us . I have never cried more with any other show.
  16. Elizabeth P February 16, 2018 at 8:20 pm #
    You should totally bring back the crimp. I am team flat iron for curling which, I know was not an option but I couldn't master the curling iron or wand. I just burned myself on the wand and the iron gave me too much of a Shirley Temple vibe. Everyone is amazed that I use a flat iron but I think it's all in what you take the time to practice. Plus, one tool to rule them all. I say both "You guys" and "Y'all".I think it just depends on the mood I am in. And finally, Venmo all the way. I occasionally use Paypal for online ordering. Otherwise, if I am paying friends I use Venmo. I get that Venmo is basically Paypal but for some reason, I find it easier to pay friends through Venmo. I find the social aspect of it a little weird as well but I am totally guilty of hiding my own interactions from others and still scrolling through to check out what they have been paying for.
  17. Sam February 17, 2018 at 12:58 am #
    “YOU GUYS...” hehe. (Bev knows) Parenthood all the way! I ugly cried EVERY single episode. Yes, I still cry during This Is Us(I’m not completely without a heart), it’s just not an every episode thing. I’m not sure another show will ever have that kind of impact on me, I mean it literally broke me.
  18. kay43026 February 17, 2018 at 9:48 am #
    My one son got hacked by Venmo...and they took HUNDREDS of $$ from his checking. And he'd NEVER signed up for it! Luckily, his bank refunded the 'stolen' money. Nope...not going there. I'll stick with PayPal.
  19. Nancy February 17, 2018 at 12:42 pm #
    I've never seen Parenthood but LOVE TIU!! Big time! I think it's funny that you should say which one we found more "emotionally abusing" because after the first episode of TIU, my friend at work was like, "Just what I need; to have my emotions highjacked by another TV show!" I don't need to follow anyone else on Insta but you make MM sound quite fun & interesting so she may get a pass! BTW, I don't use either of the irons you mention; I need a pair of thinning shears! But I do say both y'all & you guys but probably mostly y'all. That's all, y'all!
  20. Becky February 18, 2018 at 6:30 am #
    A wand leaves a slightly different curl. But I think it can still be achieved with an iron. I say both. I'm making beef vegetable soup this week and chicken picatta, and stuffed pork chops. Wait did you ask what I was making for dinner? Parenthood I enjoyed more. What else what else was there... Ah yes Venmo. Recently signed up so I could pay my sitter. Very convenient but you can set it to private so only the recipient sees. But yeah I don't want to know that so and so paid so and so for the dog walker or whatever!! That's dumb stop trying so hard Venmo.
  21. Amanda February 19, 2018 at 10:13 am #
    Bev. I bought a too expensive curling wand and you know what happened the two times I tried using it?! I burned my hand so bad it blistered. So it's now in a drawer and I refuse to use it again. I've created waves with my flat iron but it takes practice and looks wonky sometimes. I should have just bought a good old classic curling iron. I say y'all. I do not watch This Is Us but I feel like I should be so I can talk to people about it?! I haven't watched Parenthood but it's on my list. I'll probably watch it after I finish the original Will & Grace. I don't use venmo. I assumed it was like paypal and didn't see the point. I had someone ask me if I had an account once and I didn't have a clue what he was talking about at first. #oldlady
  22. Lesley February 19, 2018 at 1:50 pm #
    Here's a twist to the Yall You Guys...I'm from Houston TX, ...that said, my parents are from Pittsburgh - where they say "Youns" It comes out sounding more like "Yinz"..."Yinz gonna go eat tonight?" "What are yinz doing"....so half the time, around my family, it's Yinz...and then I switch to "Yall" eveywhere else. that's a bit much.
  23. Simone February 19, 2018 at 3:13 pm #
    (1) I switch back and forth between my curling wand and my curling iron - both are different sizes though, so very different results. And just so we are clear, I'm not really that great at getting consistent results with either. (2) I actually use neither. I know, super behind on the times. (3) I refuse to say "ya'll" even after moving from the mid-west to the south (VA). I strictly say you guys or you all. (4) YES. I am totally obsessed with her stories. Also how absolutely gorgeous was her house renovation process. I want to live there and eat out of her dishes.
  24. windows March 19, 2018 at 5:49 am #
    If you are in the search to get help in windows 10 then i will suggest you that you can get the windows 10 support in just few steps from our microsoft customer executives.
  25. rambhagat August 23, 2018 at 10:34 pm #
    t was a very good post indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it in my lunch time. Will surely come and visit this blog more often. Thanks for sharing. Satta Matka