Pork Chop Casserole

DUDES.

Pork Chop Casserole / Bev Cooks

Is it okay if I call you dude?

I call the babies dude. I think they like it. Matter of fact, I know they do because every time I say it they get a little pool of vomit right in the corners of their mouths. And if that’s not a sure sign of loving being called dude I DON’T KNOW WHAT IS.

Pork Chop Casserole / Bev Cooks  Pork Chop Casserole / Bev Cooks

Today’s recipe actually comes straight from the hands of my mama! But I’m saying it like they say in Downton Abbey, with the accent on the second half of the word, maMA. Can you imagine if they said it like Americans say it? MAWmuh?

Lord Grantham, “May I present to you, The Dowager Countess of Grantham, my MAWmuh.” Good heavens, sick.

Anyway, my parents came up last week to spoil the babes plain rotten so I could catch up on doctor’s appointments (Instagram), house cleaning (Facebook) and blog work (naps). Mom brought some old recipes from her “early married life” repertoire and learnt me on some good old fashioned fried pork!

Pork Chop Casserole / Bev Cooks

Well, not really FRIED fried. Just pan-seared until nice and golden brown. Are we still friends?

It was cute, as she was hand slicing each potato she rolled her big browns and said, “Back when we were first married, this took me FOREVER to prepare. I’m not even going to tell you what your father would say as he loomed like a tree in the kitchen doorway.” Then I introduced her to the mandolin, watched her salivate a sea, and chirp to my dad, “Tim! Christmas list!” And all was well in the world.

Pork Chop Casserole / Bev Cooks

This casserole. DUDES.

Wait, did we ever decide if it was okay if I call you du- never mind.

Pan-seared pork.

Thinly sliced potatoes and onions.

Creamy filling.

Topped with bubbling sharp cheddar.

I’m calling you dudes and you’re gonna like it.

Pork Chop Casserole / Bev Cooks

Eat up.

Pork Chop Casserole:

What it took for 4 to 6:

* 5 boneless pork chops, cut in half (making 10 small chops, which is obvious, because you know how math works. sorry)
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 3 large red potatoes, cut into 1/8″ slices (use a mandolin if you have one!)
* 1/2 white onion, thinly sliced into rings (use that mandolin)
* 1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
* 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
* salt and pepper, to taste
* parsley, for garnish
* vegetable oil, for frying

Preheat oven to 375.

Place the flour in a shallow dish and lightly dredge each pork chop through the flour, shaking off any excess flour. Shake that thang. Season both sides with salt and pepper.

Heat 2-3 Tbs. of oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Place the chops in the pan and brown on both sides. It’s okay if it doesn’t cook all the way through. We have baking yet to do. Oh that rhymed.

Arrange the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with half the potato slices. Overlap just tad. Then arrange the browned chops on top of the potatoes, followed by the remaining potato slices. Then arrange the onion rings on top of the taters. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.

Pour the cream of mushroom soup into a medium bowl. Fill 3/4th of the can with water, then add to the cream of mushroom. Whisk to combine. Evenly pour over the casserole.

Top with shredded cheese and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and fork pierce-able. Then start a band called The Fork Pierce-ables.

Garnish with parsley and serve!

Pork Chop Casserole / Bev Cooks

I’m already so happy for your life.

, , ,

65 Responses to Pork Chop Casserole

1. Tieghan February 27, 2014 at 7:50 am #

A family dinner that I actually think everyone would eat. Yes! Looks awesome, Bev!

• Anonymous March 3, 2014 at 10:01 am #

does anyone know what temp oven is supposed to be? It doesn’t say on the recipe

• Bev Weidner March 3, 2014 at 10:11 am #

Actually, it’s in the recipe! Very first sentence – 375. Let me know how it turns out!

• Anonymous March 29, 2014 at 7:23 pm #

375

2. Karly February 27, 2014 at 8:06 am #

My husband was just complaining that I don’t make pork chops often enough. I’m not sure I’ve should make him this to be nice, or hide this recipe forever to teach him that complaining about me gets him nowhere. Advice?

• Lynne February 27, 2014 at 7:21 pm #

Karly, That would be like cutting your own nose off to spite your face. lol. You would miss out on what sounds like a fabulous dish. Enjoy!!!

• moi311 March 8, 2014 at 9:11 pm #

Karly, perhaps you growing up would help?

• Anonymous March 25, 2014 at 1:47 pm #

Pretty sure it’s a joke, perhaps you should lighten up?

3. kelly @ livelovepasta February 27, 2014 at 8:14 am #

These chops look really good!! Must try, dude!

4. Abby February 27, 2014 at 9:02 am #

Ohhhh this looks so yummy. My fiancé and I are about to be all over this.

5. Annika February 27, 2014 at 9:21 am #

Looks delicious! Can’t wait for April, when my momma, or mamma (as we say in Swedish) comes to visit all the way from Sweeeeden. I will definitely be featuring her recipes on my blog.

Love that you mentioned Downton Abbey. By the way – when did Lady Mary learn how to cook scrambled eggs? Just out of nowhere did she make eggs for Mr. Blake (after the pig wrestling). Carson would be appalled.

You need to actually have show on the Foodnetwork – so we can all enjoy you in action.

6. Liz February 27, 2014 at 9:31 am #

My mom gave me a cast iron skillet for Christmas one year and commented that she thought I was old enough (read: responsible enough) to handle one. I almost ruined it and burnt down my apartment the second time I used it and her comment was, “Well, maybe you weren’t ready.” and started laughing. Anywho, the point of that ramble is that I am not sure I can handle such adult things like mandolin’s yet. Plus, I would be deathly afraid of losing a finger. So I think I will stick to a knife when I give this a try.

7. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking February 27, 2014 at 10:01 am #

Pure comfort in a casserole! Looks mouthwatering, Bev.

8. Trisha (Stew or a Story) February 27, 2014 at 12:07 pm #

I love comfort food like this! The Downton Abbey crew would totally approve. Also, looking at your babies on instagram totally makes my day. My husband is weirded out by this since we don’t have any babies and aren’t planning to any time soon but I CAN’T HELP IT. so adorable.

9. DessertForTwo February 27, 2014 at 12:42 pm #

I love fried meat! Bring it!

10. Silvermyst February 27, 2014 at 1:21 pm #

How many calories in this beauty?

• Bev Weidner February 27, 2014 at 11:00 pm #

Gosh, I’m not sure. I know there are calculators online that you could use!

11. Mary @ The Kitchen Paper February 27, 2014 at 1:40 pm #

I think Will and Natalie are young enough that you should absolutely teach them to call you maMA. They won’t know it’s weird until it’s too late.

DO IT!

12. Tina February 27, 2014 at 3:51 pm #

I wish I liked potatoes because this looks really good. I am wondering what other vegetable might work just as well?? Any ideas?

• Bev Weidner February 28, 2014 at 12:08 pm #

Don’t like potatoes?! Oh man. I can’t imagine such a life. I’m trying to think of other veggies that might work well. Maybe fennel? Something that can take being baked without getting too soggy. Thick zucchini or squash slices? Let me know what you come up with!

• MLinn21 February 28, 2014 at 11:50 pm #

Parsnips work well. So do turnips or rutabagas.

13. Christina @ The Beautiful Balance February 27, 2014 at 6:11 pm #

Your parents seem hilarious! My boyfriend would LOVE this dish, I definitely have to add this to a meal plan for the week.

14. Ashley February 27, 2014 at 9:12 pm #

Is it weird that I can smell this just by looking at it?? smelling with my eyes… totally normal. Must be a Canadian thing.

15. Heidi @foodiecrush February 28, 2014 at 1:21 am #

I like that they (your parents) realized that you as new parents (how do we escape our reality) have grown-up responsibilities to forge forth with (marathon watching of Nashville.) It’s what all grandparents are made for. And nice p.c. casserole too.

16. Christine @ Cooking with Cakes February 28, 2014 at 11:56 am #

DUDE this looks freakin’ awesome!!! ps – I call my fiance dude all the time and think it’s completely normal, so rock on :)

17. Amanda February 28, 2014 at 12:11 pm #

Love this, and your commentary always cracks me up! :)

18. Primogen February 28, 2014 at 12:32 pm #

Oh my, this will be Sunday dinner. Can’t wait to try it.

19. MLinn21 February 28, 2014 at 11:51 pm #

You are the queen of dudeness. This casserole looks amazing, and your mama sounds sweet.

20. Paula – bell’alimento March 1, 2014 at 8:26 pm #

Perfect family dinner dish! I love how creamy this dish looks!

21. Julie March 2, 2014 at 2:12 pm #

Dinner this AM. My son’s birthday

22. Julie March 2, 2014 at 2:13 pm #

Opps PM. HeeHee….

23. Julie March 2, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

Do I cover this dish when cooking ? please respond I want to put in the oven Thanks

• Bev Weidner March 2, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

You don’t have to cover it! Just keep an eye on the cheese, just in case it starts to brown.

24. Megan {Country Cleaver} March 4, 2014 at 9:21 pm #

I think I just heard Ben whisper your name in hushed and quiet tones – Pork Chops are his FAVORITE!!! Sooo I think I have to up my pork chop game with THIS!

25. Andrea March 4, 2014 at 10:15 pm #

Can I say I LOVE YOU? Cuz I do. I just made these and I cannot believe how yummy they are! How can you go wrong? Pork, cheese, potatoes and the ubiquitous can of cream o’ mushroom. So comforting. My hubby’s not home yet and I may tell him it sucks so I can keep it all to myself for breakfast, lunch and dinner tomorrow. But I know he’ll be able to tell by how good the house smells that it’s gonna be tasty. I think the next time I make it, I may throw in some sauteed mushrooms just because I love mushrooms almost as much as I love pork. ;)

26. Heather @ French Press March 6, 2014 at 12:18 pm #

after this amazing recipe you can call me anything you want!

27. Nutmeg Nanny March 7, 2014 at 12:36 pm #

Oh man, this looks amazing! I love pork chops :) this casserole looks satisfying!

28. Yrina March 10, 2014 at 8:33 am #

I made this last night for my entire family, and It was WONDERFUL. I did, however, add some thyme and rosemary to the dredge. I did not have my Mandolin slicer since i was cooking at my mom’s house, so my potato slices were done by hand. I opted to cover the dish just to make sure they would cook fully in the allotted time.

29. Carol at Wild Goose Tea March 11, 2014 at 2:30 pm #

Now this is a winning recipe. I like Yrina’s idea to add thyme and rosemary to the dredge.
    This is a great recipe for family and for guests. I have an obligation for a meal for when I gather with a small group of women. I can make this ahead and not have to miss out on
    the conversation and of course the margaritas!!!!! It is making me smile thinking about it.

30. jane March 13, 2014 at 8:14 am #

Bev!!!! these are amazing!!!! i made this last night and man i was dreaming about the dish this morning. how can these simple ingredients create such amazing flavor?! thanks for sharing. making your chicken puffs tonight….can’t wait.

31. this is a very Delicous recipe. So simple and easy to make. I also use a Mandolin

32. Anonymous March 25, 2014 at 7:04 pm #

I just tried this & I used cream of celery instead. Oh my goodness it was good. I can’t wait to try it with chicken. Thnx for recipe

33. louella March 30, 2014 at 2:05 pm #

Looks yummy!

34. Hal April 4, 2014 at 6:23 am #

Not a fan of creamy soups. would simple chicken broth be a good substitute?

• Bev Weidner April 4, 2014 at 9:14 am #

Hey, Hal! I’m all for trying variations, but I have a feeling it might make the casserole a bit thin and soupy. I could be wrong! The cream gives the whole thing a little more ooomph. But try it and let me know how it turns out!

35. Cabrini April 15, 2014 at 6:53 pm #

Can you use regular potatoes?

36. Sharon S. April 21, 2014 at 2:13 pm #

My husband’s favorite meal of all time is pork chops and scalloped potatoes – like his mother makes. I figured out very quickly after we were married nearly 39 years ago that it was imperative that I learn to make this meal like she does.

I mention all this for Hal, who doesn’t like cream soups. My dear mother-in-law makes the easiest scalloped potatoes ever, and they are delicious. No cream-of soup. Layer thinly sliced potatoes and rings of onion in a baking dish. Pour milk into the dish almost halfway into the potatoes and onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then lay bacon slices over the top. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake another 10-15 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.

I’ve also done this without the bacon, and put pork chops over the potatoes instead. Nearly the same dish as on this blog, and so good!

37. Katie May 26, 2014 at 12:14 am #

“That, or His Dudeness … Duder … or El Duderino, if, you know, you’re not into the whole brevity thing.”

My husband was JUST giving me grief for still having some pork chops in the freezer… they are coming out tonight for pork chop casserole tomorrow!!

38. Christina Kalix June 7, 2014 at 11:14 am #

Thanks for this recipe! I followed it from allfreecasseerolerecipes.com. Can’t wait to try it – I have thawed chops in the fridge and just didn’t feel like doing the garlic/basil rub like we usually would. Now I need to find a recipe for homemade cream of mushroom because we just don’t subscribe to premade soups. My husband has a recipe stuffed in his brain but he’s working tonight so it’s all me, and I won’t “cheat”, lol.Thanks again, Bev, this looks and sounds DELICIOUS!

39. plasterer bristol July 8, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

Oh pork chops, not had them in ages, and this sounds lovely…

Simon

40. Carrie Stone July 16, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

do you cover the dish with foil when baking?

• Bev Weidner July 16, 2014 at 7:33 pm #

No need to cover. Let me know how it is!

41. carol hawley August 16, 2014 at 1:48 pm #

this recipe sounds delicious, we aren’t crazy about mushroom soup, would cream of celery do just as well?

• Bev Weidner August 17, 2014 at 11:04 am #

I bet that would be just fine!

• carol hawley August 20, 2014 at 1:33 pm #

Thanks for your answer Bev

42. Cathy s August 18, 2014 at 10:54 pm #

I just made it came out really good. My son doesn’t like mushroom soup in this case he really liked it. This is one of are menu dinners Thanks for posting it

43. Mindy October 11, 2014 at 11:45 pm #

Can I use cream of celery or cream of chicken? I’m allergic to mushrooms.

• Bev Weidner October 12, 2014 at 6:59 am #

You sure can! Either will work just fine.

1. Meal Plan 3/10 - 3/14 - March 10, 2014