Grilled Citrus Tuna Steak with Avocado and Spinach

I need to tell you something real quick: I WANT TO MARRY TUNA STEAKS.

As I mentioned yesterday, I’m cooking a few recipes out of this super duper book I just finished. And as a mega mama lover of fish, this recipe jumped off the page, slapped my face into next week and then kissed me like Rhett Butler does to Scarlett O’Hara on a dangerously long red staircase.

And as if good tuna wasn’t enough to seal the deal for 10 thousand romantical slow dances in your heart, the marinade slash topping for this dish will FREAK. YOUR. FACE. RIGHT. OFF.

Ginger? Good gosh yes.

Garlic? Feed me a billion cloves.

Cilantro? Make me an edible scarf, please.

Lime juice and soy sauce? Draw me a bath now, would ya, dear?

Add slices of creamy avocado to the mix and OH. Oh, ohohohohoh. Ican’tevenstandit.

The only willy-nillying I did was to tweak the measurements a tad to fit my taste buds, and I served the tuna over wilted spinach. Which in my opinion everything in LIFE should be served over wilted spinach. Including wilted spinach.

One more thing and I’ll totes leave you alone. This is good tuna. PA-LEASE don’t cook it all the way through. You want it rare in the middle. Don’t be skeered.

Now please go make this and invite me over so I can steal it from you.

Grilled Citrus Tuna Steak With Avocado and Spinach:

What it took for 1: (hubs was on a plane and missed out. poor sucker.)

* 1 tuna steak (ahí or yellowfin)
* pinch of salt and pepper
* 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
* 2 Tbs. soy sauce
* 1 tsp freshly minced ginger
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
* juice of 1 lime, plus the zest
* 1 tsp sugar
* 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
* 4 cups spinach

Season both sides of the tuna with salt and pepper.

In a small bowl, whisk together 2 Tbs. oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, zest and sugar. Add the fish and marinate for at least 2 hours in the fridge.

In a small skillet heat the last Tbs of oil. Add the spinach and wilt slightly. Toss in a teeny pinch of salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.

Remove the fish from the marinade and grill (or sear) for 2 minutes on each side. Keep it rare in the center. PLEASE!

Pour the remaining marinade into a small saucepan and reduce until it becomes thick, 2 minutes.

Top the wilted spinach with the grilled fish, followed by the sliced avocado and a nice drizzle of the reduction.

Dear goodness me.

, , , , , , , , ,

40 Responses to Grilled Citrus Tuna Steak with Avocado and Spinach

1. Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray December 7, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

Oh MAH gosh. My boyfriend would totally give me the Girlfriend of the Year award if I whipped out this recipe. For serious, I think he’s going to leave me for tuna sometimes.

2. Cookin' Cowgirl December 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Yes, yes, YES!! I love everything about this!!

3. Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Every single flavor in here sounds amazing. Overcooked tuna should be equal to a mortal sin. Seriously people, don’t do it!

4. Deliciously Organic December 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Gorgeous!! Is there a way I can print it out? I really want to try this!

• Bev Weidner December 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

Thanks, Carrie! YES, you can print any part of the post or just the recipe. Right at the top, click “print friendly.” Yay!

5. Lauren December 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm #

That marinade sounds like something I want to drink.

6. Heather December 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm #

Can I please tell you that this looks like it could be my favorite meal….ever? The family and I go deep sea fishing all summer and I know I’m going to need to make this when we haul a tuna on board. NOM. And you’re completely right about cooking the tuna. Sear that baby on the outside only! Thanks for the recipe!

7. Lisa [With Style and Grace] December 7, 2011 at 3:34 pm #

wow. If we were neighbors I’d be inviting myself to dinner. on a regular basis.

8. Maria December 7, 2011 at 3:51 pm #

Love the fresh flavors!!

9. Cassie December 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm #

Sounds incredibly fresh and healthy. That tuna steak is beautiful!

10. Tina @ mylifeasamrs December 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm #

okay, what time should I be there for round two of this meal??? ;)

11. nicole {sweet peony} December 7, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

i could hardly wait for you to post this after seeing your teaser pic yesterday! ohhhh good lord it looks amazing! i absolutely must make this for my hubby… he’s gonna flip! and i might add some cherry tomatoes to the spinach for a nice red pop. love you for this!!!

12. Katie December 7, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

Mmm, heck yeah. I love tuna steaks. LOVE. And the fact that you referenced Gone with the Wind makes me so smiley. When I was pregnant, I begged Meeker to let me name our daughter Rhett Butler, but he wouldn’t let me.

13. carly {carlyklock} December 7, 2011 at 4:52 pm #

AMAZEBALLS.

14. JulieJ December 7, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

This looks amazing. I’ve never had a tuna steak before so *dumb question alert*……..is it warm in the center after you cooked it?

• Bev Weidner December 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm #

It’s not COOL by any means, but it’s more room temp. And divine. And you won’t believe how it will change your life, forever. Try it!

15. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme December 7, 2011 at 6:47 pm #

Fabulous recipe! LOVE the combination of ingredients. Definitely craving this dish now!

16. Jessica @ How Sweet December 7, 2011 at 7:59 pm #

i can hardly stand it! scrumptious.

17. Jaisa @ hardly housewives December 7, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

This looks delicious. So light and healthy. I am always trying to think of new ways to use avocado besides smushing it on my face/mouth. YUM.

18. Tracy December 7, 2011 at 11:40 pm #

i have bookmarked SO MANY of your recipes between last night and today! Love your blog, and this tuna is going to be made by me next week for sure!!

19. Krissy @ Krissy's Creations December 8, 2011 at 1:56 am #

This looks delicious! I love Tuna… add avocado and spinach and I’m done :) Mmmm!

20. Deborah December 8, 2011 at 5:36 am #

So I’m so embarrased to admit that I’ve never actually had a tuna steak. Tuna from a can? Yep. But this looks so – much – better!!!

21. Mimi Avocado December 8, 2011 at 7:26 am #

What a beautiful photo of the avocado on the tuna! The flavors have to be fantastic! We are featuring your post on our Facebook page today, where we share the best avocado recipes on the planet. Facebook/Avocados_Direct http://www.californiaavocadosdirect.com Thank you!

22. Jeanette December 9, 2011 at 12:36 pm #

The marinade sounds divine, and your photos are gorgeous – beautiful presentation.

23. Jessica June 21, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

This is amazing. My hubby and I are addicted. ( have made it about 6x in 1 month!!) So delicious! Thanks for posting. YUMBO!

24. Christine July 5, 2013 at 10:29 am #

I loved this recipe so much I put it on my blog. Hope you don’t mind. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it will be a new staple in my house!

25. Cheyenne January 13, 2014 at 1:24 pm #

Made this earlier this week for dinner. OMG!!! So good. I’m not…well wasn’t…a big fan of fish but this recipe had me drooling over every bite. Thank you so much for sharing this!

26. jen April 27, 2014 at 8:37 pm #

this was amazing, thank you!!

27. Melanie May 27, 2014 at 4:47 pm #

Made this the other night and it’s the most amazing tuna recipe out there. We have tons of tuna from my husband’s last fishing trip and we are always looking for new recipes. My aunt and uncle are visiting this Friday and I plan on making this stunner again!

1. Seared Ahi Tuna Steaks with Spinach, Mushrooms and Avocado | livehalffull - February 4, 2012

[…] considered using this recipe for Grilled Citrus Tuna Steak with Avocado and Spinach, this recipe for Ahi Tuna Steaks with Horseradish Butter and this recipe for Horseradish-Crusted […]

2. Tuna Steaks with Cilantro Lime Marinade » Little Bites of Everything - December 30, 2012

[…] and has the perfect mix of flavors with cilantro, ginger, lime, garlic and soy sauce (adapted from Bev Cooks).  You can serve the steaks over a bed of spinach and just pour the extra (cooked) marinade over […]

3. Grilled Citrus Tuna with Avocado and Spinach | Jules du Jour - March 20, 2013

[…] Brian came across this recipe on Bev Cooks and we had the ingredients on-hand.  What we didn’t have was time.  Two hours was the […]

4. Photo Friday | Chef by Invitation - May 31, 2013

[…] I also made this recipe. Oh my. Doesn’t it look like chicken or […]

5. Citrus Tuna Steak with Avocado | Taste of Divine - June 30, 2013

[…] I wanted to make something a little different than usual, and found this recipe from BevCooks.  My variation is below, but if you want the original recipe you can always check it out here. […]

6. 15 Tuna Dishes - November 7, 2013

[…] Recipe & Photo credit to bevcooks.com […]

7. 15 Tuna Dishes | Yummy Food Market - November 9, 2013

[…] Recipe & Photo credit to bevcooks.com […]

8. 10 Delicious High Protein Recipes | - February 22, 2014

[…] Recipe & Photo credit to bevcooks.com […]

9. Grilled Citrus Tuna Steak with Avocado and Spinach…RECIPE | Dieting 'n' Fitness - November 3, 2014

[…] Grilled Citrus Tuna Steak with Avocado and Spinach…RECIPE […]

10. Not Another Thanksgiving Leftover Recipe // Ginger Lime Tuna Steak | EAST PEARL STREET - December 1, 2014

[…] (Recipe was very adapted but inspired by Bev from Bev Cooks.) […]

11. i think i’d starve if you cooked for me… | Tri as Em might - December 12, 2014

[…] this tuna steak recipe on Pinterest. Since I’m not a huge fan of cilantro I swapped it for basil. Only note […]