Seared Indian Chicken over Coconut Rice

From a distance that looks like shredded parmesan, doesn’t it?

cocchic5

“From a distance, the world looks blue and green, and the snow-capped mountains white.”

I always hated that song. Bette sure is a fan of singing about eagles. Have you ever noticed?

“From a distance the ocean meets the stream, and the eagle takes to flight.”

“I can fly higher than an eagle, for you are the wind beneath my wings.”

I do realize this blog post is going downhill fast.

cocchic1  cocchic2

Okay so come here. Lean in just a little closer. I have to tell you something. Little closer. Just a tad closer. Wee bit clos -okay that’s too close I have no idea what you think you’re doing right now.

Fastest and simplest Indian food ever.

It’s “Indian” in a pinch.

It’s Pindianch.

It’s curry.

Look, I’m already at the bottom of the hill, JUST LET ME BE.

cocchic3  cocchic4

Coconut/cilantro rice in the rice cooker. Seasoned and seared chicken. Sautéed kale. Fresh lime. Toasted shredded coconut. Chopped peanuts. Giddy pants.

cocchic6

Feels really good at the bottom of this hill, actually. I think I’ll hang curtains. Then I’ll invite you over because it’s no fun seeing it FROM A DISTTAAANNNCEEEEE.

(Fired)

cocchic7

Make and eat this yesterday.

Seared Indian Chicken over Coconut Rice:

What it took for four:

* 1 cup jasmine rice
* 1 (15oz) can coconut milk
* 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
* 2 limes
* 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
* 2 chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise, making 4 cutlets
* 2 Tbs. Indian curry powder
* 4 cups baby (or chopped) kale
* 1/2 cup (or as much as you want) shredded coconut, lightly toasted
* 1/2 cup (or as much as you want) chopped roasted peanuts
* coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

In a rice cooker, combine the rice, coconut milk, and cilantro. Cook until you hear the beep. Add the juice from one of the limes and fluff it with a fork. Season with a small pinch of salt.

Heat a Tbs. oil in a large sauté pan. Sprinkle the curry powder on both sides of the chicken. Season with salt and pepper as well. Sear the chicken cutlets on both sides until cooked through, about 6 minutes total. Remove from pan and tent to rest. Thinly slice.

To the pan, add the remaining Tbs. oil and the kale; wilt.

Add the kale to the rice and toss to combine.

Serve chicken on the wings of an eagle (or over the rice) and top with toasted coconut, peanuts, cilantro and more lime wedges.

cocchic8

p.s. more coconut, please.

, , , ,

37 Responses to Seared Indian Chicken over Coconut Rice

1. Kathryn March 13, 2014 at 4:50 am #

Love how bright + fresh + tasty this sounds. And you can never have too much coconut.

2. Emily @ Life on Food March 13, 2014 at 6:08 am #

This meal looks amazingly delicious. I have been craving Indian for a week. I am totally making this for dinner this weekend.

3. Claire Gallam March 13, 2014 at 7:55 am #

me likey.

4. Averie @ Averie Cooks March 13, 2014 at 8:09 am #

I bet the flavors are so wonderful in this one! pinned!

5. Tieghan March 13, 2014 at 8:21 am #

Never too much coconut!! Looks awesome, Bev!

6. Brie @ Entrée the Giant March 13, 2014 at 8:36 am #

You’re feeding the twins this already, right? Those lucky ducks…

7. Marie @ Little Kitchie March 13, 2014 at 9:04 am #

This sounds soooo good. Going to try this one out for sure!

8. Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health March 13, 2014 at 9:50 am #

love the simplicity of this meal..

9. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl March 13, 2014 at 9:51 am #

You had me at “Pindianch”. PS: I love that you added kale. <3

10. danielle March 13, 2014 at 10:01 am #

ooh – my kind of dish! This sounds so good.

11. DessertForTwo March 13, 2014 at 10:47 am #

I’m obsessed with this. Can I use bald eagle instead of chicken?

12. Heather Christo March 13, 2014 at 1:00 pm #

This just absolutely rings all my bells. I am obsessed with these flavors!!! yum….

13. Amy @Very Culinary March 13, 2014 at 3:37 pm #

Get in my belly!

14. Alannah March 13, 2014 at 4:32 pm #

Gah! Finally! Yes – the recipe I’ve been waiting for ever since you posted it on IG. YUM!

15. Sommer @ASpicyPerspective March 13, 2014 at 5:07 pm #

This dish is calling my name! This will be a must try! Pinning

16. Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onion March 14, 2014 at 6:54 am #

I love anything Indian… and ya whats up with Bette and her eagles??

17. Monica L. March 14, 2014 at 10:39 am #

This sounds great! How could I cook the rice with out a rice cooker? Sadly I don’t own one.

• Bev Weidner March 14, 2014 at 11:46 am #

Just in a pot on the stove is fine! Just keep the lid on it for about 20 minutes, then check and see if the rice is tender. Good luck!

18. Mallory @ Total Noms March 14, 2014 at 11:10 am #

Go-oood is watching me make this tonight for dinner.

19. Rebecca Burnham March 14, 2014 at 11:12 am #

I don’t have a rice cooker. Pot on the stovetop ok?

20. Eliza March 14, 2014 at 11:15 am #

Looks delish. But this post lacked baby toes. Where are they!?!

21. Missrc March 14, 2014 at 11:54 am #

My favorite kind of meal….simple to make and delicious.

I tried the coconut rice, it was super easy, fluffy, and coconut-y. Will be making this all the time now. Forget the complicated coconut rice recipes…just throw it in the rice cooker :)

22. Meredith March 14, 2014 at 3:26 pm #

Over the top amazing!

23. Shari @ Simply Shari's Gluten Free March 15, 2014 at 3:41 pm #

Simple, fast, and easy. I love it! Thanks for sharing another unique recipe.

24. Nutmeg Nanny March 15, 2014 at 9:02 pm #

Oh my gosh, love this recipe! It looks so flavorful, I can’t wait to make it for my husband

25. Bri-Bites of Bri March 16, 2014 at 8:56 pm #

Bev, we made this for dinner. It was outstanding! I love that you added kale. It was just perfect- so fresh and healthy. Thank you for sharing!

26. Carol at Wild Goose Tea March 17, 2014 at 6:38 pm #

The list of comments kind of reminds me of the game Gossip. By the time I breezed thru the comments—-and I am middle aged too—–I thought the recipe was for braised
    American Eagle, which was a shame because it was a singing Eagle. What? Okay that was lame. But I am enjoying it. I use song lyrics often myself, sooooooo I really can’t point fingers. I kind of was humming along. Seriously ‘fast’ Indian food gets my vote. I am with the commenters who love Indian food. Unfortunately our local Indian restaurant closed. :(. So thanx for the recipe.

27. Erica March 18, 2014 at 4:49 pm #

Sounds delicious! I’m on such an indian food kick right now! That and sushi. Thanks Bev!

28. Hannah Waterloo March 26, 2014 at 1:16 pm #

I read this recipe and almost cried. In fact, I just got back from Trader Joe’s with the ingredients…..so absurdly excited about making this. *drool

29. Rhonda March 27, 2014 at 9:33 am #

Made this last night. Quite flavorful, but I think I’ll use full fat coconut milk next time instead of reduced fat. Looked beautiful plated…an easy, delicious meal to serve to guests that looks fancier than it is!

30. Alanna April 1, 2014 at 6:26 pm #

Just made this tonight – incredible! Super healthy but with amazing flavor. Thanks for sharing :)

31. Helen @ Scrummy Lane April 3, 2014 at 8:56 am #

Hello, Bev, just enjoyed having a little look around your blog and I love your writing style! This meal particularly popped out at me. It sounds really easy and light but with a lot of taste. Do you end up with any kind of sauce? :-)

32. Audrey April 9, 2014 at 5:42 pm #

I made this recipe 2 or 3 days ago and it made me FLIP OUT! I’ve officially elected it best weekday meal EVA. This from a girl that doesn’t cook much chicken. I’ve also elected you best food/twin baby bellies blogger if you allow me :)

1. Leah’s Link Loves and Homemade Apple Pie | Georgia Peach On My Mind - March 14, 2014

[…] Seared Indian Chicken over coconut rice. . .awesome new dinner idea. […]

2. Food Love - A Cookie Named Desire - March 23, 2014

[…] Seared Indian Chicken over Coconut Rice – I need a bucket for my drool over here. I am dying for some Indian food! […]

3. Meal Planning: The most helpful pain in my ever-developing butt | Rubenesque to RubenEx - June 24, 2014

[…] Dinner: Seared Indian Chicken over coconut rice […]