Dehydrated Apples and Bananas

Ohhhh back to school. Back to school.

To prove to dad that I’m not a fool.

I got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight.

I hope I don’t get in a fight OHHHHHH back to school. Back to sch – yeah okay I can chill.

Let’s dry some fruit!

Are you wondering why I sang that song to you just now? I am too. When I figure it out, you’ll be the first person I come to.

Are you also wondering what the wonkalonk these lemons are for? Well, they are a part of a jolly little adventure we like to call the ACID BATH.

Oh! Let’s start a heavy metal band called Acid Bath. I’ll play bass.

You basically mix 1 part lemon juice to 4 parts water (more like acid MATH, ohhhhhh you hate me) and then you plunge thinly sliced apples and bananas into the bath and let them sit for about 5 minutes. This will prevent some browning in the drying process.

Just like suntan lotion.

After a lil’ bit, you’ll transfer the fruit to a bunch of paper towels, where you’ll pat them as dry as ya can.

I have no idea why my hand looks like it’s just spent 46 months in Cancun. Perhaps I needed to stick IT in the acid bath too.

And then you’ll just arrange the little fruit slices on the little trays.

Let the drying begin!

At this point you’ve got some major time to kill so you can sit down for 15 hours and read 50 Shades of Grey and WHOA, WHOA, WHAT IS HE DOING TO THAT GIRL?

. . . now my eyeballs need that acid bath.

You should know, the apples took abouuuuut 12ish hours, while the bananas took a full 24. Maybe even 25. But you’ll be so curious along the way, so go ahead and check on them and give them a little poke every few hours to see how they’re dern.

Look! All shriveled up and ready to be snacked on by all the children of the lands.

I mean are these not so perfect for back to schoo – ooooooh.

Our band is seriously going to be so popular.

Dehydrated Apples and Bananas:

What it took for about 4 cups:

* 3 slightly overripe bananas
* 2 green apples
* 1 cup lemon juice
* 4 cups water
* dehydrator

Using a knife, slice the bananas into 1/4-inch pieces.

Using a mandolin or knife, thinly slice the apples. (I think my setting was on 2)

Combine the lemon juice and water in a large bowl. Toss the fruit into the bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. This is their acid bath. It will help prevent browning in the dehydration process.

Then, transfer the fruit to some paper towels and pat them as dry as you can.

Arrange them on the trays, turn the machine on, and live your life.

The apples will probably need close to 12 hours actually, as the bananas went a full 24. But check on them starting at the 12-hour mark and see if they’re dried and slightly pliable.

They won’t be so crispy that they break in half, but that’s good.

Snack-a-roo!

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

, , ,

21 Responses to Dehydrated Apples and Bananas

1. Kathleen Richardson August 10, 2012 at 6:54 am #

Hmm, I can just see apple and banana slices laid out on all my cooling racks. Love the idea of dried apples and bananas. So yummy! Any suggestions on how to store them, once dry. That is, if they last long enough to store?

2. Vita @ Juicer Depot August 10, 2012 at 7:33 am #

The snack bags with dehydrated fruit are a great snack to bring to school. Other kids will be begging to try some.

3. jenbeans August 10, 2012 at 8:19 am #

hahahahaha!

looks awesome

4. GingerMae August 10, 2012 at 10:41 am #

Ok, this is getting a little weird. Every time I buy something different to make for the next day you end up posting a recipe for it. For instance, last night I picked up a food dehydrator- for basil, not bananas, but close enough! Another time I was wondering how shrimp tacos would taste and you posted the recipe. It’s like we’re food sisters or something!

5. DessertForTwo August 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

I want to go back to school and learn how to be cool like Bev!

6. Katie @ Blonde Ambition August 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

Is there any way to do this in the oven? Like cook ‘em low and slow for a long time? Cause I love me some banana chips in my lunch pail!

7. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious August 10, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

How fun! And those goodie bags filled with these treats are absolutely awesome.

8. Nicole @ 'Just Live It' August 11, 2012 at 1:48 pm #

This makes me want to get a fruit dehydrater! :) Or…. a book written by yourself. You crack me up! Thanks for the great blogging!!

9. Joelle (on a pink typewriter) August 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

Those look like such cute little gifts!!

10. Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} August 12, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

I need a dehydrator, stat!

11. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 13, 2012 at 2:06 am #

My dehydrator is my friend and I’ll admit that I eat the fruit myself. :)

12. Carol August 24, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

Is there a way to do this in the oven? *_*

13. marla August 26, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

Gotta try this!! Linking back to these tomorrow :)

14. Samantha April 16, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

FYI, Acid Bath is totally a real band. And their bassist was actually killed by a drunk driver, so if they ever got back together maybe you could try out.

15. lakoda rayne December 2, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

It’s an awesome post designed for all the online visitors; they
    will obtain advantage from it I am sure.

1. 100 Healthy, Delicious and Easy Lunchbox Snack Ideas on FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking - August 27, 2012

[...] Dehydrated Apples and Bananas Bev Cooks [...]

2. Our Favorite Healthy DIY Back to School and Office Snacks | The Green Feminine Hygiene Queen - September 18, 2013

[…] 2. DIY (Dehydrated) Fruit & Veggie Chips […]

3. TodaysMama.com - 100 New Lunchbox Ideas To Try - September 30, 2013

[…] Dehydrated Apples and Bananas Bev Cooks […]

4. 41 Fun Lunchbox Ideas - December 6, 2013

[…] Dehydrated Apples & Bananas […]

5. 20+ Healthy Snack Ideas For Kids and Adults | Brunch Time Baker - July 11, 2014

[…] Two Healthy Fudgy Brownie Bites Averie Cooks Oatmeal Breakfast Bars The Law Student’s Wife Dehydrated Apples and Bananas Bev Cooks Homemade Parmesan Crackers Yummy […]

6. 20+ Healthy Snack Ideas For Kids and Adults | My Recipe Network - July 11, 2014