Penne Pasta in a Roasted Beet Sauce

Guess how incredibly lame we are!

And by “we” I’m referring to myself and my husband, a pair of old, pathetic party animals who just can’t hang with these kids today. And by “hang” I mean stay up past 9:30pm. This is embarrassing. Get ready.

So, okay. Today is our 7th wedding anniversary.

(Thank you! )

(Right? SO hard to believe.)

(Seven. long. ye – I MEAN, only seven years.)

(He only tried to hang himself twice!)

Well, with tonight being a school night, we got all gussied up on Saturday evening for an early celebratory dinner while watching the KU game at our favorite little neighborhood joint. You guys, I brushed my hair and even wore a bra that didn’t involve the word SPORTS in front of it. YOU ARE SO HAWT FOR ME RIGHT NOW.

So this is us. Shoveling 17 wheelbarrows of pasta carbonara and stroganoff into our heads. Celebrizatin’. Clinkidy clink. Living the dream. Cheering on the Jayhawks. Like, so amped up. And then the half time rolls around and Aaron leans over to me, “I have an idea. Let’s head home and put the couch together like a big fort and watch the rest there.” Me, “duuuuude yeeeessssssss.”

And then the next thing we remember is waking up to the weatherman talking about how HOT it was on Mass Street in Lawrence because of the miraculous and unexpected win. And it was light outside.

WHUT.

Missed.The.Whole.Dad.Gum.Thing.

I blame the stupid fancy bra.

And you should know that I’ve since purchased little elves to hang out and splash coffee inside my eyelids for tonight’s final game, say the issue arises again.

Now, let’s talk about this penne pasta with roasted beet sauce action. Have you ever seen such COLOR? I almost died eating it. It is seriously so divine with all that roastedy beety flavor and those little crunches of poppy seeds and blasts of fresh mint.

Hip. Hop. You. Don’t. Stop.

And then freshly grated cheese on top?

Daddy. Mac. Will. Make. Ya.

I died again just now.

Penne Pasta in a Roasted Beet Sauce:

What it took for 2:

* 3 medium-sized beets, cleaned and cut into a small dice
* 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
* 3 sprigs thyme
* 3 cloves garlic
* 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
* 2 Tbs. vermouth
* 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
* 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
* 1/4 cup cream or milk
* 1 tsp. sugar
* 1/2 pound penne pasta
* coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
* 1 Tbs. poppy seeds
* mint leaves, for garnish

Preheat oven to 400.

On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the diced beets with 1 Tbs. oil, thyme sprigs and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes. Check for doneness at the 30-minute mark.

Transfer beets to a food processor. Add the garlic, balsamic vinegar, vermouth, half of the cheese and the 2 remaining Tbs. oil. Pulse until it’s as smooth as you can get it.

Transfer beet mixture to a small saucepan. Add the stock and cream and bring to a light simmer. Add the sugar, remaining cheese and another pinch of salt. Simmer on medium-low while you prepare the rest of the meal. Taste it. Oh I know.

Toast the poppy seeds in a small skillet until fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Cook the penne until al dente. Drain and return to skillet. Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss to combine. Look. At. That. Color. Give it one more taste. Season accordingly.

Serve pasta garnished with a good sprinkle of the poppy seeds and the mint leaves. And more cheese. Absolutely more cheese.

*Quick Note* One thing I SHOULD have done and will do next time is roast the garlic along with the beets. That would have taken this over the moon. That is all.

, , , , ,

70 Responses to Penne Pasta in a Roasted Beet Sauce

1. Katie April 2, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

Sooooo pretty. I’m head over heels for beets. I bought some beet seeds for my garden this year – I can’t waaaait!

And when your done with that little coffee slashing elf, send him my way. I can’t stay up past the double digits for the life of me.

2. Michelle April 2, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

WOW! This dish looks amazing! & Happy Anniversary :) ps: don’t worry we can’t hang either.

3. Amy April 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

Happy Anniversary!

4. Gina @ Running to the Kitchen April 2, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

Happy Anniversary! Yesterday was 7 years since we got engaged (yes, on April’s Fools, that made it fun to tell everyone…) and while that’s not really a legit anniversary, we were still lametastic spending the day on the couch, in sweats and going to bed super early.
    This pasta makes up for all the lameness though :)

5. Villy @ For the love of Feeding April 2, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

I should probably wear a whole body cover to eat this dish. I’d probably get myself red in the first 2 bites :) Looks so delicious!
    Happy anniversary!!

6. Julie @ Table for Two April 2, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

I love the pop of color in this pasta!! and HAPPY ANNIVERSARRRRYYYY! xoxoxo

7. Cassie April 2, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

Gorgeous color. This sounds outta this world. Happy 7 years!

8. Nicole {Sweet Peony} April 2, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

Happy Happy Anniversary, Bev!!!! So exciting!!!

Loooving the color of the beet sauce. Can you believe I’ve never had beets though? I’m too scared to try them. I’ll try it soon though… just for you :)

9. Averie @ Averie Cooks April 2, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

I LOVE roasted beets. Beets and dates, nature’s candy!

10. Paula- bell'alimento April 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

Now that I’m all grown up I lurve roasted beets. Can’t get enough of them. The color lured me in and the flavor keeps me coming back for more! & Happy Anniv to y’all ; ) xoxo

11. Andrea the Kitchen Witch April 2, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

That color is blowing my mind!! So bright and pretty. Sounds delicious, I’m a recent beet convert so this really sounds delicious. It really does make me want to Jump JUMP! Right into my kitchen to whip up a batch of ruby deliciousness :)

12. Jen Jones April 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

Looks great – two questions as I have never dealt with beets before -

1 – Do you peel the beets before dicing them?

2 – Does the sauce stain your teeth/mouth at all?

• Bev Weidner April 2, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

Hey, Jen!

1) No peeling. I mean, you CAN if you want, but I never do.

2) No staining! WELL, I take that back. I did Facetime my sister while eating it and said, “excuse me while I eat this human real quick.” with it all in my teeth and on my lips, but I’m weird. No long-term staining, though!

• Jenny April 6, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

Your so funny!! You crack me up!! Hella lot!!! Beautiful popping dish!

13. Lori @ Lemons and Lavender April 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

I’m red with envy!

Sounds and looks incredible. Can’t wait to try the recipe.

14. Julia {The Roasted Root} April 2, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

Happy anniversary! If it makes you feel better, I can’t hang with the kids nowadays either….2 glasses of wine and it’s sleepy time! I’ve never made a beet sauce, you’re a McGenius! Will try soon ;)

15. DessertForTwo April 2, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

So unusual–love it!

Happy A-day! If I keep saying that, it will catch on, right?

16. Deanna B. April 2, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

I’m going to have to bust out a black shirt just to make this because I foresee staining any other shirt I would choose to wear.

17. Krissy's Creations April 2, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

Love your story. It’s something my husband and I would do to! Happy Anniversary! And I’m totally in love with this pasta. Love the color!!

18. marla April 2, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

You and I are all about AU NATURAL color today. This pasta is stunning. It should come over to make out with my carrots.

19. claire @ the realistic nutritionist April 2, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

This is sooooo pretty!!

20. Kelsey April 2, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

Oh my. This looks like heaven. (My version of heaven has lots of pink in it.) I cannot wait to make this for my dinner.

Happy anniversary!

21. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. April 2, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

Happy Anniversary! The color of this pasta is amazing!! And I bet it’s so tasty!

22. Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche April 2, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

This is stunning!

23. Megan @ Country Cleaver April 2, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

You’re killing me, Bev. This looks insane (in the membrane, insane in the brain). Okay you’r 90′s hip hop action is rubbing off…

But knowing me I’d spill half of it down my front trying to shovel it in as fast as possible. Do your purchased caffeine-spalshing elves do clean up too?

24. Shefali Lindsey April 2, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

I absolutely LOVE reading your blog!!! Must. Try. Recipe. Now! Happy Anniversary! xoxo

25. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts April 2, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

That is such an amazing color! Who could eat a giant bowl of that! Congrats on 7 years!

26. Amy April 2, 2012 at 11:41 pm #

Congratulations on your anniversary!
    Can’t wait to try this gorgeous recipe :)

27. Kiara April 2, 2012 at 11:46 pm #

I is makin’ this right now

28. Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe April 3, 2012 at 1:02 am #

This is so pretty! I bet it would also be fabulous with goat cheese crumbled on top. Oh my.
    PS. Happy Anniversary!

29. Kiara April 3, 2012 at 1:23 am #

That. Turned. Out. FABULOUSLY.

• Bev Weidner April 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

Yaaay! Oh I’m so glad to hear that!

30. cooking rookie April 3, 2012 at 1:36 am #

So pretty!

31. Veggie Wonder April 3, 2012 at 3:31 am #

Looks beautiful and delicious! Great idea!!!

32. Tessa April 3, 2012 at 3:32 am #

Gorgeous dish! I love the rich red color.

33. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com April 3, 2012 at 3:44 am #

Gorgeous burst of color and a very Happy Anniversary to you and the Husband :)

34. Deena @ stay at home FOODIE April 3, 2012 at 4:15 am #

Pink pasta…. So ROMANTIC!
    Congratulations!

35. Charlotte April 3, 2012 at 6:44 am #

I’m so excited to make this, I love beets. I made your prosciutto
    wrapped chicken recipe tonight, Delicious. Thanks

36. bilbaobab April 3, 2012 at 8:26 am #

yum! beet and pasta! not a combi i ate often but this looks aaaammaaazing, thank you so much for sharing the recipe!!!

37. Alison @ ingredients, Inc. April 3, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

so creative Bev! Love this idea

38. Karriann April 3, 2012 at 3:18 pm #

The pasta is gorgeous! I wish you a happy anniversary by the way ;)

“Happy Cooking”

39. Natalie @ Perry's Plate April 3, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

GORGEOUS!! I made “green noodles” for my girls the other day and thought about making a purple version, too. Thanks for doing the work for me! :)

Oh, and Happy Anniversary! You guys are adorable!

40. Marta @ I love breakfast April 3, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

Congratulations! I’ll have my 6th soon. And pasta looks amazing. I like the idea with pinkish penne, makes it look so much more tasty :D

41. Cookie + Kate April 4, 2012 at 2:28 am #

Your stories always make me laugh, Bev. That penne is so outrageously gorgeous. I think I’ll have to learn to like beets so I can make it. Fun fact: you and Aaron share the same anniversary as my parents. They made it to 29 years! My mom bought a cupcake to share with my dad to celebrate. Pretty cute.

42. Kelsey April 6, 2012 at 3:53 am #

I made this tonight. Good thing I doubled it so my husband and I can have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I’m already looking forward to it!

43. Mel April 18, 2012 at 3:26 am #

I just made this tonight and just HAD to tell you what a GENIUS you are for adding the poppy-seeds to the meal! I would have never thought of adding them to anything but, well, lemon-poppyseed loaves:). I’ll be adding poppy-seeds to everything now for their delish crunch in my mouth:) Koodos!

44. ruthie May 10, 2012 at 8:52 am #

I make this cold relish with baked beets that is creamy and garlicky, and I bet if I pureed it, it would make an outstanding dressing for a cold pasta salad. I even have some baked beets in the fridge, and I’m going to try your recipe tomorrow. You gotta love that color. ;) Excellent!

45. Amy June 17, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

I just made this..and it’s amazing…actually I’m sitting here eating seconds of it right now…I think I just died ;) I wasn’t sure if I’d like it because I was always the person to skip the beets at the salad bar, but FRESH beets taste NOTHING like the canned ones. I think I ate about half the batch when I first took them out of the oven. I would totally just roast these like the recipe said and eat them like that. Now I just need a recipe on what to do with the beet greens…ideas?

• Michelle June 23, 2012 at 5:55 am #

Amy- I chopped the beet greens (stems and all), blanched them and then sauteed them in olive oil, garlic, salt and red pepper flakes. I added them back to the pasta and it was wonderful.

46. Lisa McGonigal July 22, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Hi! Trying this tonight! Did you use sweet or dry vermouth?

• Bev Weidner July 22, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

Hi, Lisa! I used dry. But either one I’m SURE would be pawfect!

47. Mary Catherine August 9, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

This recipe was great. I fed it to my husband & three daughters. The bright pink pasta lured them in & the beet sauce finished the job. Thanks!

48. toaster October 15, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

my grand-ma gave me beet in a mason jar (with vinegar). can i use these? or fresh beet are better? thanks a lot :)

• Bev Weidner October 15, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

Honestly, I think the vinegar might impart a sour taste to the sauce that wouldn’t be there with the roasted. If you can, find some fresh beets to roast for this dish, and save the pickled beets for maybe a salad? Pickled beets sound good. Mmmm.

• toaster October 15, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

thanks a lot! you’re quick! lol :)

49. mek January 22, 2013 at 12:54 am #

OMG I need to try this! :)

My own version is so simple – but absolutely delicious and toddler approved – that it really has almost just beets! I (now) love beets so much that my recipe should be called ‘beets cream with a (n optional) pinch of pasta’ :)

These pictures are gorgeous, mine are scary…

Thanks for sharing!

50. Amanda May 3, 2013 at 6:14 pm #

I made this recipe for my husband and myself last night – it is so delicious! I think next time I make it I would add in some green veggies – perhaps some roasted asparagus. Other than that – I wouldn’t change a thing – so great!

1. Penne in Roasted Beet Sauce - April 28, 2012

[...] in Roasted Beet Sauce slightly adapted from Bev Cooks, as seen on Apple A [...]

2. Pasta with a Beet, Thyme, and Cream Sauce — very culinary - May 15, 2012

[...] this recipe (adapted from Bev Cooks) Share This Post…You know you [...]

3. Weekend Eats | Clean Eats, Fast Feets - June 11, 2012

[...] I knew beets would eventually turn up in this year’s share (week 1, how do you like them apples), and I was going to be ready. I love a plan.  Over the winter, I found and pinned some beet recipes to my Pinterest account, and one in particular sparked my eye: Penne Pasta in a Roasted Beet Sauce: http://bevcooks.com/2012/04/penne-pasta-in-a-roasted-beet-sauce/ [...]

4. Bev Cooks Guest Post on FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking - August 2, 2012

[...] 1) Penne with a Roasted Beet Sauce - I mean, does that color not freak you out or what? [...]

5. beets me | girl and fork - August 12, 2012

[...] came across this recipe for penne with roasted beet sauce from Bev Cooks. I was captivated by the purple hue of this pasta and had to try it myself. I roasted the beets the [...]

6. Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese {Find it, Make it} - August 29, 2012

[...] a side note you can also use the roasted beets in this yummy recipe for a Penne Pasta with Roasted Beet Sauce. Sorry, I don’t have a picture but I have made it [...]

7. Tomato Sauce? Borrr-ing…Pasta with Roasted Beet Sauce! « Every Which Way - January 18, 2013

[...] perfect. My problem may have been too much beet – the original recipe, which is from the blog Bev Cooks called for 3 medium beets, but I had small beets so I used 5. Seemed like a good conversion to me! [...]

8. Pasta with Roasted Beet and Garlic Sauce « Bloom Where You're Planted. - January 25, 2013

[...] Adapted from Bev Cooks. [...]

9. Valentine’s Day in your Plate! | preppyandfunny - February 6, 2013

[...] Get the recipe here! [...]

10. Skinny Girl Birthday Parties - Dishin' With Rebelle | Dishin' With Rebelle - March 15, 2013

[...] BevCooks.com’s Penne Pasta in a Roasted Beet Sauce recipe to create a divine blood-red pasta dish that bursts with flavorful sensations of beet, poppy [...]

11. Penne with Roasted Beet Ragu | The Carnivore and the Vegetarian - April 3, 2013

[...] Ingredients: Serves 2 (seems to be easily doubled) Recipe based on Bev Cooks [...]

12. Beet Risotto - The Law Student's Wife | - February 12, 2014

[…] Penne Pasta in Roasted Beet Sauce from Bev Cooks […]

13. Simple Roasted Beets with Orange and Rosemary Recipe - The Lemon Bowl - April 7, 2014

[…] Roasted Beets with Edamame and Arugula – Oh My Veggies Roasted Beet Biscuits – The View from Great Island Roasted Beet, Arugula, Goat Cheese & Honey Crostini – Gimme Some Oven Beet-Citrus Salad – An Edible Mosaic One-Pot Beet, Rosemary & Kale Arborio Rice Pilaf – Cookin’ Canuck Quinoa Salad with Roasted Beets – My Whole Food Life Penne Pasta in a Roasted Beet Sauce – Bev Cooks […]