Tostada Tuesday! (shhhh.)
Not only that, slow cooker tostadas. Slow cooker chicken and bean tostadas. Slow cooker chicken and pinto bean tostadas with fresh pico on top! Ugh.
And the cheese? Chipotle cheddar.
I give up now.
This is one of those you-know-everything-will-work-out-in-life meals, because a) it’s a bunch of chicken and beans and corn and spices and salsa in a slow cooker for 500 days.
But it’s also compleeeeetely weeknight friendly because you can also make the pico in the morning before you head off to work! OR you could make it when you come home at lunch while you catch up on This Is Us from the night before. (omg)
OR shoot – just make it after work while you’re sippin’ a glass of sauv. It’s yo’ thang. Do whatcha wanna do.
(But do catch up on This Is Us, because omgggg.)
I know you can save some extra calories by making your own tostada shells, and that’s great! But I got lay-zay this time around and used the trusty store bought kind. I actually like the texture more, I think. They’re always slightly crispier, sturdier, but with a delicate, encouraging whisper of, “Hang in there, mama. Day’s almost done.”
Oh, your food doesn’t send you inspirational heart messages while you cook? Oh.
This post is short. Mostly because I woke up sick in the middle of the night. Worst sore throat, insano runny nose, and a brain fog that quite resembles the Headless Horseman. It’s a lovely look for me.
But listen, get started on these here slow cooker tostadas prontoooo because your tongue and face and stomach and family will praise your existence for the rest of ever. (and your house will smell boss.)
Or for a few minutes.
You may now begin this ^^^.
- 22 oz chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 14 oz chicken breasts
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (11 oz) can Mexican corn (Mexicorn)
- 3 Tbs. salsa (jarred)
- 1 Tbs. cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 8 tostada shells
- 1 (8 oz) block Chipotle cheddar cheese, grated (regular cheddar is fine)
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- juice from half a lime
- 1 pinch of salt
- n a slow cooker, combine the chicken, beans, corn, salsa, and spices (including the pinch of salt). Gently toss and cook on low for 6 hours, or high for 4 - whatever works for your schedule. Once it’s cooked, shred the chicken with two forks and give it one more light stir.
- In a small bowl, combine the chopped tomato, onion, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, lime juice and a pinch of salt. Toss to combine. You can make this ahead of time and store it in the fridge as long as you fancy.
- Preheat the oven to broil. Using tongs, place a mound of chicken on each tostada shell. Evenly sprinkle the cheese over each mound of chicken. Slide the tostadas into the oven and broil until the cheese is melted and started to brown and bubble, like two minutes. If that!
- Serve with the fresh pico on top, and extra lime wedges for last-second squirting. (sorry i just said squirting.)
- Serves about 8! Maybe 9.
Tostada Tuesday! (plus wine)
12 Responses to Slow Cooker Chicken and Bean Tostadas