Indian-Spiced Braised Chicken

I remember it like it was yesterday.

But it was many, MANY moons ago when bestie Laura surprised me with a subscription to the super cute pocket-sized Martha Stewart magazine, Everyday Food.

I remember the day the first issue arrived in the mail. I jumped around in our basement apartment living room for exactly 15 minutes, cried like a little girl who just received a white shetland pony on Christmas morning, and then threw it in my bag before heading out to my husband’s softball game.

As I sat in the bleachers, absorbing every single page, I MEAN PAYING ATTENTION TO AARON’S TOTALLY AWESOME SOFTBALL SKILLS, it hit me:

Softball jerseys are kind of funny.

Food is about to seriously rule my face.

I need to stop wearing jorts.

Most everything this little magazine churns out is bad to the bone, but this Indian-spiced braised chicken – are you even joking? Tell me this is a dream, because the amount of freak attacks that emit from my body when I eat this dish aren’t exactly OF THIS WORLD.

Bottom line, folks: It’s fall. It’s getting chilly out. This involves a crock pot. Is there really anything left to say?

p.s. I’ve successfully stopped wearing jorts.

Indian-Spiced Braised Chicken:

What it took for 4:

(adapted from Everyday Food)

* 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
* 1 Tbs. coarse salt
* 1 Tbs. freshly ground pepper
* 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
* 2 Tbs. garam masala
* 1 cup freshly chopped cilantro
* 2 cups cooked jasmine rice

In a slow cooker, add the chicken, onion, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, tomato paste, cayenne, coriander, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours.

Add in the yogurt, cilantro and garam masala. Stir to combine, let cook 5 more minutes.

Serve over a bed of jasmine rice.

And then cry at the glory.

, , , , ,

27 Responses to Indian-Spiced Braised Chicken

1. Jen@foodorleans October 18, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

wow–LOVE that this is in the crockpot! I need to use it more.

2. Cassie (Bake Your Day) October 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm #

I need to cook with Indian spices more. Sounds aaaaamazing!

3. DessertForTwo October 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm #

Ok, I’m just gonna start making all of your recipes for dinner every night. I think we have the same taste buds. This is on the menu for tonight! Well, wait. I have a big lunch planned. Wednesday night for sure. Besides, I’m out of shampoo, which normally doesn’t deserve a trip to the city, but sometimes it does. Rambling. Buy champoo and shicken. Oh, I mean shampoo and chicken.

Love ya!

4. Carre at Kiss My Whisk October 18, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

I love Everyday Food and coming home to dinner ready in my slow cooker, I’m definitely going to have to give this recipe a try!

5. Katie October 18, 2011 at 7:47 pm #

I’ve been obsessed with my crockpot going on 2 weeks now…why did it take me 4 years of marriage to discover it’s superpowers and beauty? I’m bookmarking this and making it next week.

6. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 18, 2011 at 8:38 pm #

I love set it and forget it meals. I need to break out my crockpot more often and clean off the dust that’s accumulated on it!

7. Lisa {With Style and Grace} October 18, 2011 at 10:54 pm #

and this will be what I pull out my slow cooker for! I want this right NOW!!

8. Kelsey October 19, 2011 at 12:17 am #

Yesss this sounds delicious! I’m so sick of crock pot dishes that make my house smell like the same boring old thing, but I imagine this would make my house smell like an Indian spice market!

9. marla October 19, 2011 at 1:56 am #

Bev, I just started receiving this pocket sized gem too. Addictive huh! Can you send some of this over for dinner? No spectator sports other than food for me….*kisses*

10. laci October 19, 2011 at 2:00 am #

bev, i know it’s all indian-y and stuff, but i hate cilantro. any suggestions for substitutions? a cup is A LOT.

• Bev Weidner October 19, 2011 at 2:02 am #

It is! That’s my preference. ;) Parsley would be a perfect sub!

• laci October 19, 2011 at 2:03 am #

parsley i can totally do. thanks, ma’am!

11. Deborah October 19, 2011 at 4:39 am #

A couple months back I stole a bunch of old copies of Everyday Food from my sister’s house, and I have been devouring them. I’m thinking I need to subscribe – especially for recipes like this one!!

12. brandi October 19, 2011 at 1:57 pm #

oh, cilantro. i love you.

cilantro + spices + piles of jasmine rice? don’t mind if i do.

13. Betty October 19, 2011 at 5:52 pm #

This looks great! I’ll have to try it. I received my November edition of EDF yesterday and thought of you. They have a BUNCH of kale recipes in this month’s magazine.

14. Andrea the Kitchen Witch October 21, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

Oh yeah this is being made soon!! I can smell the delicious spicy aroma now :)

15. Erin October 23, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

This is in my crockpot as we speak! Can’t wait!

• Bev Weidner October 23, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

Awesome, Erin! Let me know how it turns out!

• erin November 8, 2011 at 1:22 am #

it was delicious! so delicious that it was in my crockpot last weekend too!

16. mike November 30, 2011 at 11:23 pm #

We tried this for the first time but tripled the recipe, and it’s HOOOOT. (!)

• Bev Weidner December 1, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

Oh! I hope not TOO hot. What was hot about it? Too much ginger? Garam Masala?

Thanks for letting me know!

17. Anne January 27, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

Serious, serious goodness! I only used 1/4 tsp of cayenne and threw in about 1/2 cup of cooked chickpeas towards the end. I also love that I could just throw in frozen chicken (I cooked mine for about 10 hours on low). I’m really looking forward to leftovers today!

18. jenna January 8, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

Just a quick question. Did you put the chicken in whole and then pull it apart after thanks!

• Bev Weidner January 8, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

You are correct! Just place the whole breasts in, and then shred it later after it’s all cooked!

19. farmerswife518 February 4, 2014 at 6:25 pm #

This looks delicious and soooo much easier than my Chicken Tikka Masala recipe!

20. Mya February 15, 2014 at 12:51 pm #

This looks amazing. So fragrant looking, I can almost smell it through my screen!

1. 35 (6 - 8 Hour) Slow Cooker Recipes - November 11, 2014

[…] Indian Spiced Braised ChickenĀ – This delicious braised chicken is a must-try. This recipe serves it on rice, but you could top a […]