Ancho Shrimp Tacos

TACOS FOR LIFE.

Ancho Shrimp Tacos / Bev Cooks

Sorry to scream at you, but these might just be worth a good yell fest.

A) they’re shrimp tacos.

B) they’re ancho kissed.

C) that drizzle on top is ancho kissed, too.

D) are you annoyed that I’ve said ancho kissed twice in a row?

E) like, what is that even supposed to mean?

F) I guess I’m trying to relay that they’re not over the TOP ancho-y, but just the right amount of ancho.

G) so like, just ancho kissed.

H) I don’t know what ancho means anymore, I’ve said it so much.

I) all the toppings are prrrrrrfect together. creamy, crunchy, spicy, bright, ancho kissed.

J) my hair is already growing.

Ancho Shrimp Tacos / Bev Cooks  Ancho Shrimp Tacos / Bev Cooks

Don’t you just love crumbled queso fresco? There’s no way I express my love for that tender chunk of glory enough on this here internet URL website blog. I don’t think I’d prefer to live a single day without it. Its crumbly, moist (sorry) nature with its mild creamy flavor just slays meh dead. Of course you can use cheddar or anything you want if you can’t find queso fresco. But if you’re not familiar with it, I hiiiiighly recommend giving it a go! It will change the course of your Mexican food decisions for the rest of ever.

Ancho Shrimp Tacos / Bev Cooks

These tacos are actually pretty simple to pull together, minus the little bit of topping prep work. Get some extra hands to help you with the mango and avocado while you sear the shrimp. I had Will pit and dice the avocado while Natalie wrangled the mango seed.

Just kidding, please don’t call Child Protective Services.

But I will need you to make and eat these as soon as possible.

Ancho Shrimp Tacos / Bev Cooks

Oh hey it’s TACO TUESDAY! Duh.

Ancho Shrimp Tacos:

* 1 mango, diced
* 1 avocado, diced
* crumbled queso fresco
* fresh cilantro leaves
* 12 corn tortillas
* extra lime wedges

Season the shrimp on both sides with the salt, pepper and 1 Tbs. ancho chile powder. Toss to coat.

Heat a Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp in a single layer; sear on one side for one minute. Flip and sear an additional 30 seconds, or until the shrimp is cooked through and you get some good sear marks.

In a large food processor, combine the sour cream, Tbs. of ancho chile powder and lime juice. Blitz until smooth and saucy.

Warm the tortillas any way you prefer. I like to run them over an open flame on my gas grill to get those good blistered marks on the edges.

Double stack (if you want!) the taco shells, and load up with shrimp, thinly sliced red onion, cherry tomatoes, diced mango, avocado, the queso fresco, cilantro leaves and more lime wedges. Finish with a good drizzle of the sauce over the tacos and devouuuuur.

Ancho Shrimp Tacos / Bev Cooks

Also, if you feel like being awesome, blister your corn tortillas over an open flame! Boom.

*one more thing, working on some ad tweaks, so pardon the ads on the photos. working on that now!

Okay I’m done. Off ya go.

, ,

26 Responses to Ancho Shrimp Tacos

1. Lindsay April 14, 2015 at 8:42 am #
    Your pictures of this recipe are beautiful! So colorful. And the tacos look delicious!
  2. Brian @ A Thought For Food April 14, 2015 at 10:30 am #
    Yes, yes I do love queso fresco. And shrimp. And spicy creamy goodness. And margaritas. And lamp. Oh, wait.
  3. kimber April 14, 2015 at 10:46 am #
    Oh gah… these look awesome. Looks like I'll be adding yet another spice to my cabinet. Can't wait to try these. Mmmmmm. Nomnomnom
  4. Kristine April 14, 2015 at 10:52 am #
    These are a must have!! As soon as possible. Thanks!!
  5. Jen @ Carlsbad Cravings April 14, 2015 at 12:42 pm #
    I love the ease and flavor of these tacos! and yes you can say ancho kissed as many times as you want - it just makes me want them more! I have been a stalker-non commenting fan of your blog for some time but i wanted to say hi because I am SO EXCITED to see you at Indulge next month! yay! can't wait to meet you! and your twins are ADORBS!
    • Bev Weidner April 15, 2015 at 9:20 am #
      Oh awesome!! I can't wait to meet you!
  6. Meg @ The Housewife in Training Files April 14, 2015 at 1:21 pm #
    Good thing I like ancho because those first few sentences would drive me nuts...Kidding! Bring on these shrimp tacos!
  7. claire @the realistic nutritionist April 14, 2015 at 1:32 pm #
    You can scream at me with shrimp tacos ANYDAY.
  8. Laura April 15, 2015 at 10:50 pm #
    Your tortillas always look so yummy - I have revisited your fish taco (with pablanos) post more than I care to admit because those tortillas look so amazing. Do you make them yourself or do you have a go-to brand that you care to share?
    • Bev Weidner April 16, 2015 at 6:03 am #
      Why thanks! I actually just use anything. I've used Mission before, local brands, the actual grocery store brand, anything corn! Even Trader Joe's has good ones. The trick for me is to turn on my gas burner and place the tortilla on top of the flame (resting on the burner) for 15 seconds. Flip and char the other side for a few seconds, until it looks perfect! But really, any corn tort brand will work!
      • Laura April 16, 2015 at 8:42 am #
        Good to know!!! Thanks =)
  9. Kelly April 16, 2015 at 8:15 pm #
    Oh geez these look SO GOOD. I have got to try them.
  10. Maresa April 29, 2015 at 3:14 pm #
    Mmmm Mexican night is one of my fav nights at our house!!! Definitely just saved this recipe... our go-to is usually seared tuna tacos, but these shrimp look mighty fine!
  11. Maureen May 3, 2015 at 10:53 pm #
    These tacos are so delish! It looks really awesome. My friends would love these if I serve it to them so I will make these for our small gathering. Thanks for this!
  12. Bri-Bites of Bri June 1, 2015 at 7:11 pm #
    These were so great and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
  13. shannon August 18, 2016 at 8:52 pm #
    I just made and devoured this! Soooo good! Thank you for the inspiration. I "marinaded" in the ancho powder with a little tangerine juice for a few minutes, great tacos!
  14. Shutterstock Images January 11, 2018 at 1:48 am #
    Even Stock images are paid and are often licensed for specific uses but nowadays there are many websites are proving that all similar images for free. Free Stock Images Websites List 2018. Shutterstock, stock Images, Free Download, Shutterstock Images.
  15. Muhammad Jahanzaib May 4, 2018 at 12:17 pm #
    Fantastic Article to read. I really enjoyed this post. Thak you so much for sharing this. I really Like it.
  16. Max May 4, 2018 at 12:18 pm #
    Excellent informative post. Thanks for the services you are providing here,. Visitors who are looking for employment news visit jobrakhi. I can promises you will never get disappointment Thank you!
  17. Rakesh Raj November 15, 2018 at 9:50 pm #
    Very nice article. I really liked it. Thanks for sharing this awesome post.

1. weekly gems (a bit late…again) | Beagle and Bear - April 20, 2015 […] I want to try: tropical mango spring rolls, vanilla coconut panna cotta, ancho shrimp tacos, pistachio quinoa dukkah crusted chicken fingers with sun-dried tomato pesto, sriracha lime […]
  2. Top Ten Tuesday | Dixie Chik Cooks - April 21, 2015 […] Ancho Shrimp Tacos – Lord, I love tacos. […]
  3. Spicy Rosemary Cashews - May 5, 2015 […] J and I will be celebrating with a Mexican feast tonight – we’re going to try these Ancho shrimp tacos from Bev Cooks (check out her blog too, she is one hilarious lady!) and we’ll be serving up our favourite […]
  4. A Month of Taco Tuesday Recipes | Chef's Corner Store - October 3, 2016 […] This taco recipe from Bev Cooks is another easy way to spice up your Taco Tuesday routine, pun intended. Shrimp is simple to season and cook, and it’s ready in a snap. The ancho chile sauce just takes a quick spin in the food processor. While there’s some prep work involved with the tomatoes, red onion, mango and avocado, we think it’s worth the effort. […]
  5. Crushing on Funny Girl Bev Weidner of Bev Cooks – foodiecrush | Foodan - January 31, 2017 […] Ancho Shrimp Tacos […]
  6. The Best Taco Recipes in the whole world | STORIES MAG - October 11, 2018 […] CooksGet the Ancho Shrimp Tacos recipe from Bev […]