Chipotle Black Bean Burgers

Meatless Monday! By total accident.

Chipotle Black Bean Burger / Bev Cooks

Before we begin, I’d like to point out my jankidy jank pregnant woman avocado slices. Rugged, jagged, burning rebels in their own form. I didn’t even care to make them pretty. But you know what? My feet and legs and back and pancreas hurts, so we get James Dean avocado slices. And I’m okay with that.

Speaking of, we bought a new car! A super fly 2014 Subaru Outback. It’s sooo pimp. Has a moonroof (do you know the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof? I got learnt this weekend), that rear view camera thing that lets you see how close you are hitting a squirrel and scoring 50 points, a nice stereo system, and all kinds of other dudely things that I can’t describe. Or pronounce. It’s freaking sweet. And I’m totally nervous to drive it. Sadly the first trip I’m taking in it today is to the vet with my sick dog. But that’s another story.

Gah, this post is all over the place.

Black bean burgers!

What makes these extra spreshull is the dollop or 40 of chipotle spread I added. Nothing I made from scratch, just a jar of sandwich spread I add to little things here and there for pizazz and jazz hands. Pijazz hands?

Chipotle Black Bean Burger / Bev Cooks  Chipotle Black Bean Burger / Bev Cooks

Oh gosh how did that get there? Oops. My apologies.

Chipotle Black Bean Burger / Bev Cooks

Another bonus, these are baked. Baked in the oven with melty pepper jack cheese all over the place.

AND, I didn’t even talk about the corn, the SMOKED chopped almonds and the cee-lan-tro. Hot diggidy  . . . burger.

Chipotle Black Bean Burger / Bev Cooks

James Dean burgers. I can do this.

Chipotle Black Bean Burgers:

* 1 egg
* 4 sliced pepper jack cheese
* 4 onion buns, split and lightly toasted
* mixed greens
* sliced avocado
* coarse salt, to taste
* lime wedges, for serving

Preheat oven to 425.

In a large bowl, add the beans and lightly mash with a fork. Add the onions, garlic, almonds, corn, cilantro, 2 Tbs. chipotle spread, egg and a small pinch of coarse salt. Mix to combine.

Using your hands, equally form the mixture into 4 patties. Arrange on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Carefully flip, add the cheese and bake for 8 to 10 more.

Spread the remaining chipotle spread on the bottom of each toasted bun and serve with greens, avocado slices and fresh lime wedges!

Chipotle Black Bean Burger / Bev Cooks

Saddle up.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

47 Responses to Chipotle Black Bean Burgers

1. Kevin @ Closet Cooking November 4, 2013 at 8:05 am #

These sound so good!

2. Ali @ Inspiralized November 4, 2013 at 8:07 am #

These look like the best black bean burgers ever. Sometimes they’re too dry, but these clearly look juicy and amazing! Love the additional of the cheese, too. Yum!

3. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl November 4, 2013 at 8:21 am #

This is going to be one perfect dinner!

4. Tieghan November 4, 2013 at 8:31 am #

Freaking love these!! And you! Perfect burger!

5. Liz (@Leave a happy plate) November 4, 2013 at 9:02 am #

Bev, those look sooooo good! Can’t wait to try ‘em!

6. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar November 4, 2013 at 9:45 am #

Dang, girl, this looks fab!! I love a good, thick, burger!

7. Marie @ Little Kitchie November 4, 2013 at 10:02 am #

These look totally incredible!! I’m a huge black bean burger fan, and this one sounds MAJOR.

8. Meagan November 4, 2013 at 10:47 am #

These do look like EVERYTHING. Majorly perfect for a meatless Monday. Hope your doggie is feeling better, Bev!

9. Megan {country cleaver} November 4, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

I’m still patiently awaiting the name of the new Subbie! Remember, Huuubbie is taken!! I’ll wait don’t worry – just give me one of these to hold me over until you think of one….

10. JulieD November 4, 2013 at 2:56 pm #

I love black bean burgers…these sound and look amazing!

11. Ruthy @ Omeletta November 4, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

The greatest photo is the one of your belly and the burgers underneath. Loved it.

12. Anna November 4, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

What is the name of the chipotle spread you use? Thanks

• Bev Weidner November 5, 2013 at 7:12 am #

It’s Hidden Valley – just says Spicy Chipotle Pepper sandwich spread on the jar!

13. Erin L November 5, 2013 at 6:19 am #

So sorry to hear that your dog is sick!! It’s hard to think about anything else when your first born isn’t well. Good luck to you & her.

14. Tracy | Peanut Butter And Onion November 5, 2013 at 7:20 am #

I have wanted to try a meatless burger since, forever. This one looks like a good place to start!

15. Kari@Loaves n Dishes November 5, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

A burger should be rugged, if it’s pretty I’m suspicious. These look perfect, and I love the smoked almonds!

16. DeLallo Foods November 6, 2013 at 10:04 am #

These look delicious!

17. Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain November 6, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

You are so flipping adorable! Love these burgers, Bev!

18. Aggie November 7, 2013 at 3:17 am #

Gosh these really look great. I’m so glad you baked them, I always mess up bean burgers on grill or skillet, these look more “stable” – and totally delicious!

Love the baby bump photo bomb!! Hope you’re feeling good!

19. ATasteOfMadness November 9, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

These burgers sound SO good! Anything chipotle gets my attention, yum!

20. Sarah | The Cyclist's Wife November 11, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

Congrats on the Outback! We got one last year to replace our old one. It is sweet! Don’t be scurred. If you parallel park like me you will feel awesome with your back up camera assistance!

21. Nutmeg Nanny November 11, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

Oh man, these burgers look incredible :) I really enjoy a good black bean burger, and these look full of flavor!

22. Andrea Stamm November 12, 2013 at 6:17 pm #

This were so good! And so adaptable too! I made a double batch and froze some of the patties for quick weeknight dinners.

• Heather February 6, 2014 at 6:09 am #

Did you freeze before or after baking?

23. Priti November 13, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Love all your veggie recipes so much and can’t wait to try this one! Quick question… I know that the chipotle spread is key but would there be any substitute? Or perhaps I could include various spices instead? Love that this is less in sodium with no bread crumbs too!

• Bev Weidner November 13, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

Hi, Priti! Good question. If you want to mix together a little mayo with some cayenne pepper, that would be a good sub! The spread acts as a binder, and I really like the heat and flavor. So yes, try the mayo/caynenne mix and let me know how it goes!

24. Kristin November 13, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

Beautiful! Pinned!
    K-

25. Jill January 20, 2014 at 5:18 pm #

Have you tried freezing them??
    wondering how they would hold up!

26. Leigha @ Minougirl February 7, 2014 at 8:57 pm #

Based my black bean burgers off of these – FABULOUS! Here is what I made! :) http://minougirl.com/2014/02/black-bean-and-sweet-potato-burgers/

27. Priya February 17, 2014 at 9:07 pm #

These were amazing. I used naan pockets instead of buns, that helped keep the bean burgers together for me :)

28. nIKKI March 7, 2014 at 11:28 am #

Do you have the nutrition facts for these?!

29. June B. April 2, 2014 at 2:35 pm #

These are great….modified the recipe a little and used: black beans, a banana, onion, red pepper, chopped up almonds, chopped oats, spinach, a teeny bit of lime, siracha, crushed red pepper, one egg, parmesan

30. Sandhya August 14, 2014 at 9:17 am #

These burgers look great! I am going to definitely make them tonight!
    Sandhya at Indfused

31. Amanda Clarke September 11, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

I want to make these so bad for my mother-in-law but she is allergic to almonds!!! Will they still work without them or can I substitute for something else?

32. beth October 8, 2014 at 9:56 am #

Could I leave the almonds out or is there a non nut substitute I could use do you think? Thank you!

• Bev Weidner October 8, 2014 at 1:32 pm #

You could leave them out all together if you’re allergic to nuts. It will be just fine!

33. donna October 19, 2014 at 9:10 pm #

I made these and they were yummy, but I couldn’t find chipotle spread, so I used chipotle peppers and they were very crumbly. Any suggestions to keep them together better? Thanks!

• Bev Weidner October 20, 2014 at 10:43 am #

Oh shoot! I think what I would do next time is to puree the chipotle peppers with either mayo or yogurt to make a spread. That should help keep it all together!

• donna October 21, 2014 at 10:23 pm #

Thanks. I will try that next time. They were delicious :)

1. Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is - November 9, 2013

[…] chipotle black bean burgers. so […]

2. Currently Crushing On. | pinmeplease - November 9, 2013

[…] chipotle black bean burgers. so […]

3. Glazed Dulce De Leche Pound Cake - December 10, 2013

[…] a bit of flavor goodness. And I mean that in the non-creepy way! She serves us up Poutine Pizza, Chipotle Black Bean Burgers (you know those were right up my alley), and now she’s serving up two sweet bebes! Which is […]

4. Black Bean Burgers with Hummus and Guacamole - January 16, 2014

[…] these burgers. I love them. When I first saw Bev’s recipe I thought they looked so tasty and I wanted to recreate them pronto. I am a sucker for pepper jack […]

5. Will Run for Beer | Barr & Table - February 10, 2014

[…] Went out Sunday – Roast chicken, asparagus, & naan with korma sauce Monday – Chipotle black bean burgers, roasted potatoes, & side salad Tuesday – Healthier Cincinnati chili over zucchini […]

6. What I Ate Wednesday #73: A Quick Recap | Barr & Table - February 12, 2014

[…] night I made chipotle black bean burgers and they were awesome [even Nathan approved]! I was feeling a sandwich for lunch and decided to […]

7. Chipotle Black Bean Burgers | IMG Recipes| Share Your Favorite Recipes, Cooking Tips & Food Images - April 10, 2014

[…] Chipotle Black Bean Burgers Chipotle Black Bean Burgers! Get it. For full “Chipotle Black Bean Burgers” recipe click here […]

8. meatless monday! | hjartesmil - October 20, 2014

[…] bønneburger.  grilla aubergine med grønne linser. […]