Sausage, Kale and Black-Eyed Peas Soup

Weeeeell would ya look at that. The world didn’t blow up!

bep7

Oh wait that was 13 years ago. And then two weeks ago. And okay, pretty much every morning if we really want to babysit my neurosis.

Alright let’s just get down to this. Are you big on tradition?

And the ancient folklore of the underworlds?

And the archaic legend laws of primitive mythology?

And the customary rituals in which to establish great praxis in life?

bep1  bep2

Okay baby steps: how ’bout old fashioned good luck? Because dudes, we have black-eyed peas to eat. I’m not messing around today. Ain’t no willy nilly. We can’t afford to take any chances this year. We’ve been given a NEW BEGINNING, and if we ignore the rules from day one, guess what will happen. No I’m serious, guess.

Okay I’ll tell you.

bep3  bep4

If you do not eat black-eyed peas on this first crucial day of the year, (I’m doing that thing right now where I point two fingers at my eyes, and then at yours, and then back at mine) you will wake up (get ready because I’m dead freaking serious) a two-headed snaggletooth dragon, betwixt two falcons. And probably stuck in a tree somewhere. Naked.

bep5

Hey, I don’t make up the rules.

bep6

But I did make up this soup and I’m dying to beg you to make it tonight and today and right now. It’s one of my all-time faaaavorite flavor combinations ever in the world. And it’s ridiculously super quick to make so you still have time to run out today to get the stuff. It’s light, brothy, sausagey, kaley, black-eyed peasy, oh man. Pluuuus you probably have leftover beer from last night. Use it up in this soup and punch that two-headed snaggletooth dragon in both of his faces.

bep8

Crisis avoided.

Sausage, Kale and Black-Eyed Peas Soup:

What it took for 2:

* 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 Italian sausage link, casing removed
* 1 roasted garlic chicken sausage link, casing removed (or your favorite flavor)
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 pinch crushed red pepper
* 1 bunch kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
* 1 (14.5 oz) can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
* 1 cup light beer (my photo shows about 3/4th a cup in it, don’t ask)
* 1 cup chicken stock
* coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat the oil in large skillet over medium high. Break up the sausages with your hands and add to the skillet. Brown the sausage crumbles, 5 minutes.

Add the garlic and crushed red pepper; sauté another minute.

Add the kale and toss to wilt. If you need to add a little of the beer now to speed up the wiltage, go right ahead. Then toss in the black eyed peas and toss to combine. Add the rest of the beer and stock. Simmer on medium-low for about 10 minutes. Give it a good pinch of salt and pepper.

Taste that.

It’s for real.

Slurp up that good luck!

* can easily be doubled or tripled or fifteenupled.

bep9

I was just kidding about the whole snaggletooth dragon thing.

But probably not.

, , , ,

19 Responses to Sausage, Kale and Black-Eyed Peas Soup

1. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl January 1, 2013 at 9:20 am #

There is nothing better in life than sausage and kale! I’m glad you let black eyed peas in to the sausage and kale party. YUM.

2. Katie January 1, 2013 at 9:32 am #

You made those little beans look downright beautiful. I’m in.

3. Alison @ ingredients, Inc. January 1, 2013 at 1:01 pm #

love this! Happy new year!

4. Ross | TheFaceBaby January 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm #

I’d be more interested in seeing a two-headed snaggletooth dragon in a tree WITH clothing. Like a three-piece suit and some size-72 Oxfords. And maybe even a monocle.

Wait, two monocles.

…and a pipe.

Okay I’m done, and for sure eating this tonight.

5. Sues January 1, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

I’ve never had black-eyed peas before, but now I want this! It’s not too late, right??

6. Kari@Loaves n Dishes January 1, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

I’m not one for superstitions (you may call it tradition if you like), but I would definitely eat this soup any day. MMM, MMM!

7. Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs January 1, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

Happy New Year!! This dish sounds perfect for this nasty cold weather. Thanks for the post and can’t wait to see what you have in store for 2013!

8. Cookin' Canuck January 1, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

We could all use a little luck…and a whole lot of this soup! Happy New Year, Bev.

9. Brian @ A Thought For Food January 2, 2013 at 7:16 am #

I think we all need to be on a soup diet. Ugh… feeling a little rough after last month.

10. Kevin @ Closet Cooking January 2, 2013 at 10:34 am #

What a nice and healthy way to start the new year without sacrificing any flavour!

11. Autumn January 3, 2013 at 11:39 am #

I am actually eating this at my desk for lunch right now! :) I doubled it and made it for dinner last night so that we’d have leftovers! It turned out delicious BUT the grocery store was out of kale (WHAT?!?!) so I used Mustard Greens, they didn’t have any kind of chicken sausage so I used garlic & cheese sausage and I came home and was already making it and realized we had NO garlic!!! (how is that possible!!) Either way I still loved it and will make it again hoping for the exact ingredients you used :)

12. SallyHP January 5, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

Oh, yum! I have a sausage, Kale and lentil soup that is pretty similar-SO good with the ‘artisan bread in 5 minutes’

13. Lynne @ CookandBeMerry January 6, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

I didn’t know I was supposed to be eating black-eyed peas on Jan.1. I was reading about it though, does that count? I think my praxis in in trouble. Love your recipe. It looks delicious. Happy New Year!

14. Beki February 12, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

You are HILARIOUS and your recipe looks awesome. Just what I was hoping to find and I think I might add some tomatoes as well. I’ll see how it takes shape. Also, I think I’m going to use dry black-eyed peas and pressure cook them first… Yum! And thank you for your creativity and good humor!

15. Charity November 29, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

I love this Bev! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe. I have made this three times, each time just as delicious :) I would love to share this idea with my readers at The Rich Life…It’s a perfect fall dish! Thanks so much again and happy holidays.

-Charity, The Rich Life: The Practice of Packing Light, http://www.therchlfe.com

16. Paula – bell’alimento January 1, 2014 at 10:06 am #

Great recipe for winter lunches or dinners. Best wishes in 2014! I know you are looking forward 2 blessings shortly!

1. New Year’s Black Eyed Peas (Sans Bacon. Sigh.) » bourbon & gloss - January 1, 2013

[...] bacon (I’m also on the “veggie as much as possible plan”). So I put a twist on this recipe from BevCooks.com for Sausage, Kale, and Black-Eyed Pea [...]

2. Ingredients, Inc.9 worthy winter soups - January 13, 2013

[...] Sausage, Kale and Black Eyed Pea Soup via Bev Cooks [...]

3. Black Eyed Peas, Artichoke and Garlic Chicken Sausage, Kale Soup | Another Damn Cooking Blog - September 17, 2013

[…] http://bevcooks.com/2013/01/sausage-kale-and-black-eyed-peas-soup/ […]