DIY Scented Hand Lotion

JUST HEAR THOSE SLEIGH BELLS JINGLING, RING TING TINGLING TOOOOO.

Yeah that would be your fist in my face right about now.

It’s a craft post, you guys! And we’re making Christmas goodies. (please don’t barf)

I was going to wait until after Thanksgiving to post this, but then I thought about all the neurotic planner-obsessed weirdos out there like me who start Christmas shopping in the SUMMER, so I reasoned with myself that it’s really a genius idea to post this now that Halloween is behind us, as it’s actually doing us all a favor by getting this Christmas idea out there now and therefore putting you at ease and by you I mean me.

So, um, all the women in my family, could ya just, like, not look at my website today? Coo, coo.

Hand lotion. Cooooooompletely obsessed with it. So much that I seriously feel uncomfortable if it’s not within a 5-inch reach at all times. I’m the same way with lip balm, a bottle of water and kleenex because I feel like I have a dumb chronic sniffle that for the life of me has not and will not go away. That wasn’t exciting to know, was it.

So yeah, hand lotion. Absolutely gotta have it. You know, the first signs of aging are in the hands! And elbows. Is that not totally depressing and weird? Are you wanting me to just get to the process already? K.

1) Go get chew a huge thing of fragrance free lotion and a bunch of little travel-sized bottles. I got all my stuff at Target, and while I was there I took a look at their down comforters, only to discover they only have MOCK DOWN comforters. I mean what is that.

2) Pump pump pump that lotion into all the leetle bottles!

Look at the gross little hairs on my finger. It’s like fuzzy mcgee.

3) Take a little break and admire all that pumping yew jerst deed.

4) Okay now, grab a bunch of essential oils. Thiiiiis would be another obsession of mine. We have a little hippie store down the street where I get all my nag champa incense and essential oils and I swear I wish my nose could just live in there forever.

And this isn’t even our entire collection. Aaron had the peppermint in his backpack at work and I still can’t find the eucalyptuuuuusaaaaaa. (that’s me whining)

5) Pick your scents! My signature scent is a mix of lavender, peppermint and rosemary. About 15 drops each. You could totally try that (I won’t be mad), or go the floral route, or just one oil, or whatever! I even tried to mix nag champa ashes with the lotion and it didn’t do jack. And then I realized I’m an idiot.

6) Take a chopstick or something long and skinny and twirl it all around in the lotion, getting it all mixed. Smell it. OMG. Taste it. Kidding!

7) Now, you can leave them plain and clean OR you can grab some steeckers and decorate ‘em. I kind of like them with the stickers. Notice the UPSIDE DOWN sticker on that one to the left? Ugh, I’m such a lame crafter.

And that’s it! Now you have cutsie hand lotions for all your pals and buddies. I love these small sizes because they fit perfectly in your purse for when you’re ON THE GO.

So there you have it! We done did crafted. That wasn’t so painful now, was it?

And oh! If you liked this craft post, I posted a little heated rice sack tutorial last winter that cha might dig too.

You HAVE to tell me if you end up making these and what scents you picked so that I can totally copy you.

Crafts!

, , ,

33 Responses to DIY Scented Hand Lotion

1. Villy @ For the love of Feeding November 7, 2012 at 8:39 am #

I am confused. Where is the cheese?
    Seriously though, I would love to receive one or all of those cute bottles for present! I need to find a hippie store (still laughing with that..)!

2. Megan November 7, 2012 at 8:49 am #

You’re just a regular ol’ Martha-freakin’-Stewart – if Martha sang show tunes and had hand lotion obesessions – both of which are totally legit and awesome.

And I’m 11/10 one of those hypocondriacs that has to have a water bottle with me whenever I leave the house and 7 tubes of chapstick strategically placed in each purse, on my night stand, two in my car (cause, duh) and then on in my kitchen and always one in my pocket.

3. Katie @ Lovebird Productions November 7, 2012 at 9:37 am #

I seriously love this DIY and feel like I could actually accomplish it. I am bookmarking this for Christmas gifts :)

4. Liz @ The Lemon Bowl November 7, 2012 at 9:43 am #

I just tasted my lotion and now I’m sick. :-\ Ok not really. But seriously, I love the fact that this is a craft I could actually handle.

5. Ashley@BakerbyNature November 7, 2012 at 9:47 am #

The gals in my family would LOVE these as gifts! Swiping the supplies this weekend on our target run!

6. Heather November 7, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Yayy for craft posts. I made little jars of sea salt scrubs with essential oils a few Christmas’s back for my girlfriends and they were a big hit. Lavender was by far my favorite!

• Anonymous November 7, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

How did you make the scrubs? I’m totally thinking of doing little baskets with lotion and scrubs and maybe soap!

• Bev Weidner November 8, 2012 at 6:38 am #

I’ve made scrubs before too, and all you basically do is get some REALLY coarse salt (or sugar) and combine it with some olive oil in a little jar. Scent it the way you like and voila, body scrub!

Heather, did you have sort of the same process?

7. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts November 7, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Love these, what a fun idea! Now I just need to find out where to get oils…

8. Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings November 7, 2012 at 10:17 am #

super cute– thanks for sharing!!

9. GingerMae November 7, 2012 at 10:39 am #

TMI – but I’m the same way with that sniffle problem. I figure it’s from dust..even in rainy Seattle it’s everywhere!

10. Heather @ Heather's Dish November 7, 2012 at 11:14 am #

i love this! totally making these for family this year – they already have everything else anyway!

11. Mandie @ Oh So Decadent November 7, 2012 at 11:37 am #

Ah! I’m such a crafty nerd, but I never thought to make homemade hand lotion! What an excellent idea! So excited to try these out.

I’d love to add some crazy things to them so they are super fancy :).

12. Lisa | With Style and Grace November 7, 2012 at 11:48 am #

This is so fun! I want to make my own lotion. Can we have a lotion making party?

13. Averie @ Averie Cooks November 7, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Best little DIY project ever! Can I be on your recipient list? Seriously Bev – so fun!

14. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious November 7, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

How fun! And so perfect with the holidays coming up!

15. Lori November 7, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

What a great idea! I love the Target brand (up & up?) calming cream – it’s their version of Eucerin calming cream. No scent and it’s nice and thick.

16. DessertForTwo November 7, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

Yay for crafts! I’m so not crafty, but I pretend to me and clean up the mess anyway!

17. Kristen November 7, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

Such a great idea for simple stocking stuffers. I’m impressed with your craftiness1

18. Diana November 7, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

Hey, um, where’d you get the little travel-size bottles?

• Bev Weidner November 7, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

I actually got them at Target! Check over in that huge travel bin area.

19. Katie @ Blonde Ambition November 7, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

So cute and crafty! Are they supposed to look like giant christmas lights, or do I just already have christmas fever? Like these: http://www.bettyschristmashouse.com/lights/images/LED_C9_bulbs.jpg

• Bev Weidner November 7, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

OMG hilarious! I mean, I toooootally plannnnned iiiiit. ;)

20. Kari@Loaves n Dishes November 7, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

I have those hairs on my fingers too (Ugh). Every once in a while I remember to wax them, but more often than not I have hairy knuckles. This is a terrific idea for budget friendly gifts, the girls will love it!

21. Julie @ Table for Two November 7, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

bahahaha laughed so hard at this entry. the first line cracked me up cause i just pictured you screaming that in my face. and then when you said TASTE IT – i lost it. luff youuuu!

22. Erin November 8, 2012 at 7:09 am #

You always make me laugh…I really enjoy reading your blogs. This seems like a GREAT idea for lil goodie bags!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

23. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective November 8, 2012 at 7:27 am #

What? You make beauty products too? Girl…. what don’t you do!? :)

24. Tracey @ Cooking with Love November 9, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

Love, love. love this!!! :)

25. Tracey @ Cooking with Love November 9, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

PS: I bought a down alternative comforter at Target last week that’s very comfy, however, I went online at overstock.com and they are even better and more afordable! Just an f.y.i :)

26. Home Inspections Chicago November 10, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

Cute addition for a small gift for friends at work!

27. Ali | Gimme Some Oven November 15, 2012 at 9:17 am #

Totally trying this!!!

28. Kristin March 28, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

I have a bunch of great smelling fragrance oils that are all skin safe. I buy these for candle making. Could you use this instead of essential oils?

1. 9 Easy Recipes for Homemade Lotion and Skin Cream - January 12, 2013

[…]  DIY Scented Hand Lotion ~ Moisturizing your skin is essential to keeping healthy glowing skin.  This recipe allows you to […]