Gourmet Chili Dogs

I’m pretty sure this recipe is the biggest oxymoron ever.

And quite possibly the most freaky delicious oxymoron that’s going to knock your face into next Tuesday.

Last week on the Facebooks and Twitters I asked you if I should make these here chili dogs. And then my accounts exploded due to little red notifications and BEEP BEEEEP BEEEEEEP ALL UP IN MY EARDRUMS overload. Man, you guys are on fire for your dogs.

Which made me decide to be on fire for them as well. So much I nearly burned the house down.

(You have no idea how much I’m having to resist a winky face emoticon right here.)

So I got Aaron involved, which took .00000001 of a second. I wanted to give you a more stylish version using pimp ingredients, but still deliver that manly, burly, I THINK I JUST GREW A BEARD gusto.

And without a chili dog doubt, we did it.

The chili (with slightly sweet tones from the sugar, sweet paprika and honey – oh yeah) simmered for a good 3 hours. The artisan baguettes were grilled to perfection. The kielbasa sausages brought me to a place of sweet surrender. Aaron fainted.

Okay. This next joke is obvious. So you just have to let me get it out of my system. It’s who I am.

I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU TO MAKE THESE.

(I seriously can’t help these things.)

But really, if you don’t make these for the Superbowl, or today, you’ll be letting your entire life down.

Gourmet Chili Dogs:

This is the part where I forgot to take a picture of the ACTUAL CHILI.

Chili dogs = Charlie dog approved.

What it took for 6 (probably with a little leftover chili, yeah!):

* 1 (14.5 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
* 2 Tbs. brown sugar
* 2 Tbs. honey
* 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
* 1/2 cup broth or water
* coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

for the dawgs:

* 2 pounds Polish kielbasa sausage (or 6 links)
* 2 baguettes, split in half and lightly brushed with olive oil
* 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
* 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
* 1/2 cup finely diced red onion

In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high. Add the onions and garlic; saute 3 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper, cumin, chili powder, paprika, ground coriander and Mexican oregano. Bloom the spices for 1 minute.

Add the ground beef, a good pinch of salt and pepper and cook until browned all over, 4 minutes.

Add the red wine and cook 1 minute.

Add the tomatoes, beans, green chiles, brown sugar, honey, vinegar, broth (or water) and another pinch of salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer about 3 hours.

Heat grill to medium-high. Grill the sausages until plump and slightly charred all over, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cut into 6 links.

Slice baguettes into hot dog lengths, place a dog on the bottom half, top with loads of chili. Garnish with cheese, cilan…..okay you know the drill. EAT UP!

*** NOTE *** I used a slotted spoon for the chili, but you’ll have some nice juices in the pot, if you prefer a more sloppy dog. Which I definitely recommend.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

, , , , ,

67 Responses to Gourmet Chili Dogs

1. Kelly Senyei January 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

HOLY GUACAMOLE! This recipe looks insanely amazing, Bev! If anyone can make chili dogs gourmet, then that person is YOU!

2. Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

Poor Charlie, he wants a bite sooo badly in that picture! haha
    These will be made over here. Definitely NOT while watching the super bow because 1.we don’t have cable and 2. There’s nothing more I detest in this world than football but nonetheless, they WILL be made!

3. Julie @ Table for Two January 11, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

HOLY.SH!T. These look so mouthwatering good. You’ve done it again, Bev. This is seriously so delicious looking. Wow. I can’t stop staring at the dogs and just wanting to put that chili and dog all up in my face. I want to swim in the chili dog sauce. This is so great..very impressive!!

4. Lisa [With Style and Grace] January 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

holy hot dog. I don’t eat a lot of meat, but seriously, I want this in my face, RIGHT. NOW!

5. DessertForTwo January 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

This is everything I’ve ever hoped for in life. Amen.

6. nicole b. January 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

This is epic, and it might very well be my Superbowl Party Food Contribution this year. Thanks, Bev! xo.

p.s. I am SUCH a bread girl. Those “artisan baguettes” on the grill… I could eat those for dinner. No joke. ha.

7. Maria January 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

Wow! Just WOW!

8. Cookbook Queen January 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

You made a chili dog look gorgeous. It’s like you’re a sorcerer!!

I’ll take twelve.

9. Deborah January 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

I’m embarrased to admit just how much I love these. I am a hot dog addict, and I’m pretty sure this is perfection for me!

10. Lori @ RecipeGirl January 11, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

Yee Hah, Girl! These are Super Bowl Eats if I ever saw any!!

11. Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray January 11, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

And I’m starting a cleanse today. Thanks for this! HA!
    Definitely saving this one for a later date—YUMM!

12. bridget {bake at 350} January 11, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

Um, pretty much wanting to jump through my screen right now.

13. Cassie January 11, 2012 at 3:29 pm #

For real, this is crazy delicious. LOVE!

14. Laurie {Simply Scratch} January 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

These are the prettiest chili dogs I’ve ever seen. *wiping tears of joy*

15. kelley January 11, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

Get out and shut the front door. I think I just fell in love with you. And Aaron. And your dog. The four legged one.

16. A Southern Bee Diary January 11, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

Holy Moly those look too good to be real! I want to make these really badly now! Your poor pup wants one so bad lol. Btw, I am trying your pork kebobs tonight and cannot wait!

xo. Britt
    A Southern Bee Diary

• Bev Weidner January 11, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

Oh awesome! Let me know how they turn out!

17. Erin January 11, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

Who knew a chili dog could be so fancy?? Love it!

18. teresa January 11, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

Girly~Girl you are toooooOOoo cute!

Delighted I’ve discovered you on Instagram and now your fab blog!
    You must have fabulous light in your kitchen!
    The pics are bright and lovely~
    This chili dog looks like SERIOUS yum!
    Love the baguette for the bun!
    You make sausage look GOOD!
    Snuggles to Charlie from Doogan and I!
    Yeah for SEC football!
    Hugs from Bainbridge!
    xo

19. Lauren January 11, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

Yes and yes. #holyamazingbatman

20. NanaBread (Jeanne) January 11, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

Holy crap, Bev! Those look incredible!

21. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 11, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

This would be a hub’s favorite.

Love that pic of all the spices! You have more spices in one picture than Im pretty sure I own :)

22. Deanna B. January 11, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

Good grief, that looks amazing. Do they come with complementary bibs? Because I can just seem myself wearing as much of one as I eat.

23. Heather (Heather's Dish) January 11, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

Done…all you had to do was post the title and I was sold!

24. Katie @ Epicurean Mom January 11, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

OMG!! I don’t care what anyone says, I LOVE HOT DOGS! But gourmet chili dogs…Heaven!

25. kale @ tastes good to me! January 11, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

Aww Charlie is so cute! I want to reach into the screen, wind back time, and give him some of it. And eat the rest. Sanitation? Pfft.

26. Heidi @ Food Doodles January 11, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

OK, those look incredible. You cannot do this to a pregnant woman!

27. Meagan Wied January 11, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

These hot dogs looks so delicious. My husband is going to love it when I make them for him!!!

28. Sara {Home is Where the Cookies Are} January 11, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

Now EVERYTHING I had planned for dinner this week HAS to take the back burner. These need to happen STAT! They look to die for!

29. Tobias @ T and Tea Cake January 11, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

Gee, good goody girl!
    Just came over from foodgawker an cannot believe that I’m seeing.

I already had dinner and am pretty much stuffed and jolly but there’d still be room for THESE bad boys! There’d ALWAYS be room for these bad boys. I kid you not.

Kinda nibbling on my screen right now…

Cheers,
    Tobias

30. Jessica @ How Sweet January 11, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

I can definitely get behind this. And on top of it too.

31. Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids January 11, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

Oh, my! I am not a huge fan of normal hot dogs. But, these gourmet chili dogs look seriously amazingly awesome. So awesome that I honestly cannot wait to make them! I so wish that I would have read this before I went to the grocery store. I will definitely buy all of the ingredients on my next trip!

32. Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum January 11, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

I smiled a jumbo smile when I saw this on FG this afternoon. Yes, yes, and yes!

33. Kathleen Richardson January 11, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

I’m not usually a chili-dog kinda gal, but this is tempting me. Looks so-o good, I pinned it on my Pinterest.com account and send a special Facebook mailing to my son! BTW, did the (live) dog get a share!

• Bev Weidner January 11, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

Thanks so much! Oh, she absolutely did. Too much of it. ;)

34. Krissy @ Krissy's Creations January 11, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

This recipe is out of this world. Wow Bev.. YUM!! If I show the pictures to my husband he will request is ASAP.

35. Chels R. January 11, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

I was never one to turn down a dare! This looks incredibly good!!

36. Heather @ Curly Girl Kitchen January 12, 2012 at 12:50 am #

Wow, my jaw just dropped at the sight of these. I could inhale one of these in about a minute! I’m totally craving a hot dog now, and I hardly ever eat them, usually just when we go camping in the summer.

37. Memoria January 12, 2012 at 1:29 am #

I might just makex these on my cheat day along with homemade baguettes. Goodness me!

38. Mary Miller | A Passionate Plate January 12, 2012 at 2:04 am #

These look ridiculously good. I’m thinking Super Bowl party food… yum!

39. Jennifer | Mother Thyme January 12, 2012 at 2:39 am #

That is one incredible hot dog! Loving the picture of your dog looking at the plate, to cute!

40. Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper January 12, 2012 at 3:00 am #

These look absolutely SCRUMPTIOUS. Wow. I wish we weren’t in the middle of a nor’eater so I could fire up my grill.

41. brandi January 12, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

pretty sure hubby will faint if i make these. yum!

42. Jen @ pretty plate January 13, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Totally making these for the Super Bowl!

Happy Friday

: ))
    Jen

43. Katie January 13, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

You rule. Fo realz!

44. Andrea January 13, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

I love it! Your site look like mine… Good job!

45. Melissa January 13, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

Hi! I’m a new commenter…been lurking for a while. Can I just confess that I am salivating right now? Holy! I’m so making these for my guys, Super Bowl or not!

46. cluttercafe January 13, 2012 at 11:50 pm #

those look delicious and evil! I love it! Love your site too. Adding it to my reader right now! Thanks

47. Cliff @ livelovepasta January 25, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

Those dawgs look redic! I’ll take 2 please and a nice cold beer!!!

48. Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids January 30, 2012 at 1:29 am #

I made these on Saturday, and I am writing a post about them right now. They were amazingly awesome. And, I created Fiesta Nachos with the leftover chili. Delicious!

1. thursday thoughts - January 12, 2012

[...] ideas. Actually a lot of ideas. And the list keeps growing, and growing, and growing, bigger, and bigger, and BIGGER, and BIGGEST. Make it [...]

2. Gourmet Chili Dogs | Bev Cooks - January 12, 2012

[...] Gourmet Chili Dogs | Bev Cooks Filed Under: Uncategorized Tagged With: biggest, face, facebooks, freaky-delicious, [...]

3. For Love of the Trampoline – Recipe: Not Just Another Chili Dog | Cooking for My Kids - January 30, 2012

[...] like this chili dogs were good for the whole family on Saturday night.  When I saw the Gourmet Chili Dogs on Bev Cooks, I immediately pinned the recipe.  While I am not a huge fan of normal hot dogs, Bev’s chili [...]

4. Gourmet Hot Dog Recipes | Family Kitchen - February 1, 2012

[...] ketchup or mustard or taken to a whole new level of deliciousness with a little extra effort. Take Bev’s Gourmet Chili Dogs (shown above) for instance. This girl brought the everyday dog to a new level. And not just by [...]

5. Baked Bourbon Buffalo Wings | Bev Cooks - February 3, 2012

[...] Turkey Taco Cups:                                                               Gourmet Chili Dogs: [...]

6. Big Game Bash Series, Part II of Three: Super Bowl Party Main Dishes | Atelier Christine - February 3, 2012

[...] Gourmet Kielbasa Sausage Chili Dog. [...]

7. Saturdays with Rachael Ray - Coney Island Hot Dogs | - June 2, 2012

[...] with My Kid Jalepeno Chili Dogs from Coupon Clipping Cook Chili Dog Pizza from Behind the Bites Gourmet Chili Dogs from Bev Cooks 7-Layer Chili Dog Dip from Taste and Tell Chili Dog Casserole from Framed Cooks [...]

8. Clueless in the kitchen? | Single mom eats - July 17, 2012

[...] Chili Dogs [...]

9. Chile Verde Dogs - Lemons for Lulu | Lemons for Lulu - July 26, 2012

[...] Gourmet Chili Dogs              Bev Cooks [...]

10. Bye Bye Summertime! A Sophisticated Gourmet Labor Day Cookout Menu - August 27, 2013

[…] A stylish, sophisticated version of an American classic we all know and love? That’s what we’re talking about! There’s no need to get complicated, to get gourmet. Bev of Bevcooks.com made these barkin’ hot dogs with grilled Polish Kielbasa, slid those puppies into fresh baguettes, then ladled a generous portion of her amazing sweet and spicy chili and finished off with shredded cheddar, diced onion and cilantro. This recipe inspired our Labor Day Cookout Menu, so run for the recipe, now!  Gourmet Chili Dog Recipe […]

11. 135 Recipes for Football Season | How Sweet It Is - October 16, 2013

[…] gourmet chili dogs […]

12. #Recipe / Gourmet Chili Dogs | MBSIB: The Man ... - January 13, 2014

[…] INGREDIENTS:for the chili:* 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil* 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced* 4 cloves garlic, minced* 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes* 2 Tbs. ground cumin* 2 Tbs. chili powder* 2 Tbs. sweet or smoked paprika* 1 Tbs. ground coriander* 1 Tbs. Mexican oregano* 12 oz organic ground beef* 1/2 cup red wine* 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes* 1 (14.5 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed* 1 (14.5 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed* 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles* 2 Tbs. brown sugar* 2 Tbs. honey* 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar* 1/2 cup broth or water* coarse salt and freshly ground pepperfor the dawgs:* 2 pounds Polish kielbasa sausage (or 6 links)* 2 baguettes, split in half and lightly brushed with olive oil* 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese* 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves* 1/2 cup finely diced red onionDIRECTIONS:http://bevcooks.com/2012/01/gourmet-chili-dogs/  […]

13. #Recipe / Gourmet Chili Dogs | life | Scoop.it - January 13, 2014