The Mojito. Moe-Hee-Toe.

Yesterday afternoon a couple of girlfriends came over to see my new mortar and pestle. You guys, it was like I’d brought home a new baby. We gazed upon it. We pet it. We lovingly wished great blessings upon it. And then we muddled the tar out of some mint and started drinking.

Making a mojito is actually a flippin’ cinch to make. I had no idea! Although, with a congested face, I kept asking the girls, “Does this taste right? It’s not like a restaurant, is it? Should I have made a simple syrup instead? Where did you get that blouse?”

I have to tell you, this mortar and pestle is changing my life. It’s changing the way I look at the world. The way I view cooking and my kitchen. The way I see myself and those around me. The way I talk. The way I walk. The way I run down the street singing Richard Marx’s “Right Here Waiting For You” to the neighbors.

…..Actually, that was probably just the rum.

The Mojito:

What it takes for 1 drink:

* 1 lime
* 10 mint leaves
* 1 Tbs. sugar
* 1.5 oz white rum
* splash of club soda

Using a mortar and pestle, grind 8 of the mint leaves with the sugar until it becomes a paste.

Spoon the paste into a glass. Drop a few ice cubes into the glass. Add the rum, club soda and a good squeeze of lime. Give a good stir, garnish with mint and sip, sip, sip!

Repeat as needed. And trust me, it will be needed.

, , , ,

20 Responses to The Mojito. Moe-Hee-Toe.

1. Rebecca ~ Sweet Baby Yams September 9, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

I love your blog! Thanks for making me smile or laugh with every post.

• Bev Weidner September 9, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

Awww, thanks Rebecca! It means a lot to hear!

2. Prana & Pie September 9, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

What you need now? Richard Marx hair. Grab the scissors, Bev. This is going to get ugly.

3. carly {carlyklock} September 9, 2011 at 3:38 pm #

What other substance did you add to that mortar? Huh? Huh?!?!?!?

That moe-hee-toe totally hee’ed my toe like its never been hee’ed before.

4. DessertForTwo September 9, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

I neeeeed a moe-hee-toe like now-o. And it’s only 9am-o.

5. Julia September 9, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

Ok, you’re really starting to convince me I neeeeed a mortar and pestle. Me and mojitos, we’re like *this.* Except, I suck at making them, probably b/c I’m lacking this little gem of a kitchen tool.

6. Katie September 9, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

Mojitos are my favorite drinks on earth. I want one!

7. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 9, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

God that looks good. Especially after my last 24 hours! Pour a few. I’ll be right over!

8. Tracey September 9, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

Ok, now I am getting a mortar and pestle! Photos are beautiful and the mojito looks scrumptious! :)

9. Cassie Laemmli September 9, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

Mojitos have been my drink this summer. I would be happy to taste test for you in the future! :)

10. Betty Greiner September 9, 2011 at 10:33 pm #

Bev – Thanks for the recipe. All summer I’ve been saying that I need to make a mojito (which I’ve never drank before) just because I have plenty of mint. Summer’s gone – but I still have mint so I’ll give this a try.

11. Carrie September 9, 2011 at 11:39 pm #

Lovely drinks, lovely company, lovely evening! Now I want to break out MY mortar and pestle and make cairprinhas!

12. Alison @ ingredients, Inc. September 11, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

yum! This is my kind of drink. Hope you had a good weekend!

13. myFudo September 14, 2011 at 6:26 am #

This is a very good recipe,its fantastic.

14. myFudo September 14, 2011 at 6:28 am #

Its a wonderful recipe!

1. Mojito rum | Alldogthings - September 14, 2011

[...] The Mojito. Moe-Hee-Toe. | Bev Cooks [...]

2. MojiTea | My Tea Break - October 5, 2011

[...] bevcooks.com via Tracey on [...]

3. Kentucky Derby Party Recipes | RecipeLionBlog - May 4, 2012

[...] ~~~The Mojito~~~ [...]

4. Get Your Cinco de Mayo Drink On! « Maknwaves - May 5, 2012

[...] Classic Mojito [...]

5. Los cócteles más refrescantes – parte 2 | Alimentación, nutrición y salud en Salud a la carta - June 29, 2012

[...] bevcooks.com via Tracey on [...]