Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken Stuffed with Basil and Cheese

I remember being a youngster and eating a stuffed chicken breast for the first time and thinking, “dude, how did you get all this stuff IN there?” Then my mom ran at me with a chef’s knife aimed at my head, came to an abrupt stop 2 inches away from my deer-in-the-headlights sweaty face and gently answered, “I slit the chicken in half, sweetie.” while gazing at the blade like an escaped inmate.

You can see how these things might affect someone, right?

I’ve been planning on stuffing a chicken breast for some time now. I have really needed to stuff something. Anything. The desire was so strong yesterday afternoon that I nearly stuffed my sofa cushion with asparagus.

You guuuuuuuys, I didn’t nearly stuff my sofa cushion with asparagus!

It was arugula.

So, with an impending mini-vacay to Boulder to see this girl, it was pertinent that I stuffed something quickly, or else that something might have turned into a someONE.

DU DU DUUUUUH.

Again, the effects of childhood memories can be powerful.

If you have this same urge to stuff something, I encourage you to please do it quickly. Foaming at the mouth and running through the front yard with a huge knife and a bag of shredded mozzarella cheese is not becoming. ON ANYONE.

And while you’re at it, go ahead and wrap whatever it is you just stuffed with some good, salty prosciutto. ommmgggforrreaaaaal.

p.s. Laura, I promise not to kill you.

Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken Stuffed with Basil and Cheese:

What it took for 2:

* 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
* 4 slices prosciutto
* 1/2 cup basil leaves
* 1 cup shredded mozzarella
* 1/2 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch chunks
* 4 cups arugula
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
* juice from 1/2 a lemon
* pinch of salt and pepper

Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.

With a sharp knife, slice the chicken breast in half, but not all the way through. Layer 1/2 cup shredded cheese, followed by half the basil leaves. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top and fold the breast flap (gross?) back over.

Lay the chicken breast on top of the 2 prosciutto slices and wrap around the breast.

Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium. Add the chicken breasts to the pan and sear on each side roughly 6 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and prosciutto is nice and crisp-ay. Remove from pan and set aside to rest a few minutes.

Back in the pan, add a little more oil if needed and add the garlic; bloom 30 seconds. Add the asparagus and saute 3 minutes, until crisp-tender. Toss in the arugula and wilt, about a minute. Add the lemon juice and season with a little salt and pepper, for good measure.

Serve chicken over a bed of sautéed greens, and get. on. it.

, , , , ,

26 Responses to Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken Stuffed with Basil and Cheese

1. carly {carlyklock} September 27, 2011 at 3:08 pm #

Have such a good time in CO. This looks so yummy. You should be a surgeon. Or something.

2. Sydney September 27, 2011 at 3:20 pm #

I recently started stuffing chicken breasts as it’s my boyfriend’s favorite food and I’m not a huge chicken fan.. My favorite so far has been stuffing it with arugula and chili pepper goat cheese and then wrapping with prosciutto and chorizo. SO GOOD! I haven’t made any in a while so clearly I will have to try yourrecipe ;)

• Pd December 25, 2012 at 5:15 am #

Stuffed chicken nice way to have them, recently have stuffed mine with chestnut mushroom,parsley, chestnuts 2 cooked chopped, garlic all frid in butter. Yum

• ncn January 5, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

I want your chili pepper goat cheese stuffed chicken recipe!

3. Cassie [Bake Your Day] September 27, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

Ah-ma-zing, Bev. The prosciutto looks perfectly crisp…this is my kind of meal! I could live on basil and asparagus and cheese.

4. Prana & Pie September 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm #

You! Me! Those guys we married, Whatstheirnames! Oh, I just cannot wait.

5. Mimi September 27, 2011 at 5:04 pm #

Oh my goodness this looks absolutely amazing! Have fun!

6. Lauren September 27, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

Easy and delicious, I’m sure! Have a great trip!

7. Cathy/ShowFoodChef September 27, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

I didn’t think I had an urge to stuff something, but now I’m thinking about it — darn youuuuu. This looks completely delicious and the prosciutto is the perfect way to keep the chicken breast moist. Great stuff (ing)!

8. BistroBess September 27, 2011 at 6:09 pm #

Looks amazing…and sounds pretty easy! I like that the stuffing is not too complicated. No precooking or tons of chopping. Perfect!

9. Katie September 27, 2011 at 7:34 pm #

Oh my yumminess. I’v never stuffed anything.,..well, my bra in junior high. But on the food front, never. This needs to change.

10. Melissa @ thefauxmartha September 27, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

Laughing out loud while reading this at my desk. I’m glad you got to the chicken before you got to the couch or some other innocent bystander. Oh ya, and the wrapped chicken looks delish. And fancy! iWant.

11. Jana @ delectablymine September 27, 2011 at 11:26 pm #

Beautiful, and what a combo, basil, cheese and prosciutto, wonderful!

12. Judy@Savoring Today September 28, 2011 at 12:15 am #

Yum! Looks and sounds absolutely amazing!

13. Elisabeth September 28, 2011 at 12:31 am #

I have a great idea. You, Laura, and those two men of yours come to Breckenridge for the day. I would be the ultimate hands-off host in that I could tell you all the good places to eat (we actually are foodies here!) and the boys could ride that fancy new mtn bike of your husbands. AND… this is THE week of the amazing golden Aspen tree colors… I know all the good spots.

Oh… and our little tiny grocery store here has plenty of Hatch Green Chile sauce.

• Bev Weidner September 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm #

Done! ;) I wish we could, too!

14. Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray September 28, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Oh man, this looks amazing!!!!! Gorgeous photos as always! Enjoy your trip.

15. Heather McMullin September 28, 2011 at 4:03 pm #

This looks soooo good!!

Hugs!
    Heather

16. Emily September 29, 2011 at 10:26 pm #

Good golly, these look to die for. Heaven!

17. Natalie@ Deconstructing The Home October 3, 2011 at 11:14 pm #

This look so tasty! I am going to have try this. I am always trying to find a new may to make chicken.

18. Jessica October 19, 2012 at 10:41 pm #

I made these tonight with dinner and we LOVE, LOVE, LOVED it. It was so delicious and definitely guest worthy. My husband and I are total foodies, and we just added this recipe to our list of keepers! Thanks for sharing!

19. claudio November 22, 2012 at 6:40 am #

se ve delicioso, tendre que cocinar, para lucirse ante mi familia.

20. sara June 21, 2014 at 8:48 pm #

I am cooking this right now and I just wanted to make note that frying the chicken for 6 minutes on each side didn’t cook mine all the way and it was cooked on medium heat. The whole thing was pink inside and the middle was like sushi. I am now putting it in the oven so it will cook all the way through. Also, cooking the garlic at the beginning burns it, so I added mine in the veggies 30 seconds after the veggies were done cooking. Other than a couple of things this recipe looks delicious and I can’t wait to eat dinner. Thank you for sharing. =)

1. Good Bite Weeknight Meals: Delicious Made Easy | Cooks&Books&Recipes - October 2, 2011

[…] with my love for cooking that is simple yet also distinctive. Right now I’m craving this: Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken Stuffed with Basil and Cheese. In addition to her cooking and photography skills, Bev’s other characteristics I admire and […]

2. Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken Stuffed with Basil and Cheese | I Love To Cook - December 26, 2012

[…] For more details please visit this link : bevcooks […]

3. Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Chicken | sally cooks - April 1, 2013

[…] decided to make them a salad, a stuffed chicken recipe that was inspired by BevCook’s Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken Stuffed with Basil and Cheese and my mom’s simple chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream.  I’ll detail the recipe […]