Soy Chorizo and Two-Bean Chili

You’re probably reading the title of this post, rubbing your eyes, re-reading it and thinking, “The girl’s gawn coo-coo. Who eats chili IN AUGUST?”

Well hold on now! I need to explain something. For the most part of yesterday, it felt like fall. Delicious, crisp, I-can-go-outside-and-not-die-from-the-heat fall. The temperatures stayed right around 66, steady rain showers drenched the neighborhoods, and my face was paralyzed in an expression reminiscent of Bozo the Clown.

Actually, that’s a creepy image.

Stop imagining it!

Anyway, you know of my obsession for rain, so I only felt it necessary to monumentalize the fact that my backyard looks like it’s been resuscitated and given a new dawn, a new day and a new life.

Why do I feel like singing all of a sudden?

This vegetarian chili is a.m.a.z.i.n.g. The soy chorizo packs some PUNCH, you guys. Pour a bowl and sprinkle some cheese on it and you may just end up sportin’ a Bozo the Clown face, too.

(I apologize in advance.)

Soy Chorizo and Two Bean Chili:

* 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted tomatoes, with their juices
* 1 (14.5 oz) can vegetable stock
* 1 Tbs. ground cumin
* 1 Tbs. ground chili powder
* 1 tsp garlic salt
* 1 Tbs. Mexican oregano
* 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (plus more for garnish)

Heat the oil in a large pan, or dutch oven. Add the onions, red bell pepper and jalapeno peppers; saute for 6 minutes.

Add the garlic, along with the spices and Mexican oregano; bloom for 30 seconds.

Add the soy chorizo and break up with the wooden spoon, until crumbled, 2 minutes.

Add the beans, tomatoes and broth. Simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and simmer 15 more minutes.

Serve with shredded cheese and more cilantro, if desired!

, , , , , ,

17 Responses to Soy Chorizo and Two-Bean Chili

1. J. Davis August 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

Looks mouth watering. I live in Florida and I don’t care about the fact that it’s still summer–I want this!

2. Maris (In Good Taste) August 16, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

Fall is my favorite season! These photos are great and this chili is getting me in the mood for Fall!

3. DessertForTwo August 16, 2011 at 7:41 pm #

I just bought soyrizo for the first time! I’ve been wondering what to make with it! Thanks for this-I can eat warm soups & stews year-round :)

4. Nelly Rodriguez August 16, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

Definitely a great start to almost fall season! I haven’t had soyrizo….but would be interested in trying it!

5. Mads August 16, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

I can eat chorizo any time of year, so I’m not complaining at all.
    I love the ingredients in a line picture! So creative and cute.

6. Tracey August 16, 2011 at 11:54 pm #

The picture of the chili in the pot is fabulous!

7. Katie August 17, 2011 at 12:17 am #

It’s been rainy here, too…I also LOVE a good rainy day – it’s the perfect excuse to cozy up with a bowl of chili. Also, where do I find soy chorizo? I need it.

8. Alison @ ingredients, Inc. August 17, 2011 at 1:03 am #

love this combination. Great looking football party recipe coming soon :)

9. Heidi / foodiecrush August 17, 2011 at 5:07 am #

I like that it’s a little bit saucey. Kind of like you.

• Bev Weidner August 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

You know me so well. :)

10. Deborah August 17, 2011 at 6:47 am #

I’m all for chili year round! And while I’ve never had soy chorizo, this sure does look fantastic!

11. Julie January 17, 2012 at 10:26 pm #

thats not chilli Oo thats like soup. at best. Chilli is hearty thick . This stuff id serve up for before dinner snack.

12. Heidi March 17, 2013 at 11:13 am #

This is the perfect consistency for chili. Any more hearty and it would be considered a stew! I absolutely love this recipe and have made it several times now. It freezes great and I have even made it for a snowy card party with friends! I have passed on your link to several who begged me for the recipe! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

1. Chorizo Chili | Easier Than Falling Off a Log - September 21, 2011

[...] got the recipe here, where it was a vegetarian affair with soy chorizo and vegetable stock, but first of all I like [...]

2. chili | a cozy boat - April 3, 2013