Alright winter weather, my bag is packed. My boarding pass is printed. There’s no stopping me now.
You have approximately 17 hours to melt, clear up and GET GONE.
….Pretty please? With a tortilla strip on top?
Shrimp and Tortilla Soup:
What it took for 2:
* ½ pound medium frozen shrimp, thawed and pat dry
* 1 red bell pepper, chopped
* 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
* 2 cups chicken broth
* 1 (8 oz) bottle clam juice
* ½ cup chopped scallions, greens and whites separated
* 1/4th cup fresh cilantro
* 1 tsp cumin
* 1 tsp dried oregano
* 4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
* 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
* 1 cup frozen corn
* 1/4th cup fresh lime juice
* coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large pot, bring 1 Tbs. oil to a medium-high heat. Add the strips and sauté until crisp. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel.
Back in the pot, add the remaining oil and toss in the bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, tomatoes, scallion whites, cumin and oregano. Season with a pinch of salt. Saute for about 4 minutes. Add the broth and clam juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add the corn and shrimp. Simmer for an additional 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in scallions, cilantro and lime juice. Give a good grind or two of the black pepper.
To serve, ladle into bowls and top with tortilla strips. You will die this is so good.