With weather like this I have 3 words for you: Shredded Chicken Chili.
I mean, is there really anything more to say?
You know me, of course there is! A blazing fire, a bottle of red wine, warm blankets, wool socks, a good movie, a hot shower, a snuggly puppy, an abundance of questions for husband about movie during movie, and a second serving of that chili.
That’s more like it.
Shredded Chicken Chili:
What it took for 2:
* 1 rotissery chicken, shredded
* 1 yellow onion, finely diced
* 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
* 3 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 jalapeno, diced (ribs and seeds removed if you are a sissy)
* 1 red bell pepper, diced
* 1 can of navy beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 can of pinto beans, rained and drinsed (did you do a double take?)
* 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes (with juice)
* 4 cups organic chicken stock
* 1 Tbs. cumin
* 2 Tbs. chili powder
* 1 Tbs. smoked paprika (more if you feel crazy)
* cilantro for garnish
* shredded cheddar to top
* cooked white rice (we are using leftovers from yesterday)
* coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
In a dutch oven or large, deep saucepan, heat the oil over medium. Add the onion, garlic, red pepper and jalapeno. Saute for about 4 minutes, to soften. Add the cumin, chili powder and paprika. Let the spices bloom with the veggies for a minute or so. Add the beans, broth and chicken. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer and let it cook for really only about 15 or so minutes. Everything is cooked already. We just want to introduce it all and let it fall in love. Season accordingly to make sure you’ll be giddy when you eat it.
To serve, top some rice with the chili and garnish with cilantro and cheese. (and a squeeze of lime!)
* You can make your chili as brothy or as thick as you like. My step mother-in-law happens to make the most insanely good brothy version, so I tend to go for her style.